FBI director claims "sloppy" North Korean hackers revealed their IP addresses

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fbi director sony sloppy north korean hackers revealed addresses fbi ip address north korea sony pictures sony hack guardians of peace proxy server

The US government has taken a lot of heat for publically blaming North Korea for the hack on Sony Pictures last November. Up to this point, however, they haven’t provided many details as to what led them to that conclusion – until now.

According to FBI director James Comey, the Sony hackers slipped up on more than one occasion by failing to use proxy servers to mask the origin of their attack. This move revealed IP addresses that the FBI claims were used exclusively by North Korea.

fbi director sony sloppy north korean hackers revealed addresses fbi ip address north korea sony pictures sony hack guardians of peace proxy server

During a speaking engagement at a Fordham Law School cybersecurity conference on Wednesday, Comey said the missteps could have been either because they simply forgot to use a proxy server or due to technical reasons. Once they realized their mistake, Comey added, they quickly shut the connection down but not before authorities were able to trace it.

Of course, Comey’s statement will likely do little to silence a security community that seems divided on the matter. After all, the IP addresses that the FBI picked up could have been proxies themselves designed to further throw off the investigation.

As Wired points out, the Guardians of Peace initially tried to extort money from Sony before they made any political demands. The group didn’t even mention The Interview until well into the attack.

Comey concluded that he wanted to show the American people as much as possible about why but show the bad guys as little as possible about how. That’s because it will happen again and they want to preserve their methods and sources.

Permalink to story.

Seriously? There is too much reasonable doubt. Lets move on, until there is stronger evidence. Lets laugh at the bastards, until they decide they want to take credit. Because until then they are only playing games and should not be taken seriously.

Seriously? There is too much reasonable doubt. Lets move on, until there is stronger evidence. Lets laugh at the bastards, until they decide they want to take credit. Because until then they are only playing games and should not be taken seriously.
Nuking them will remove all reasonable doubt. (I really should stop playing violent video games, my imagination is starting to run away with me).

Every time those hypocritical fkwits publicly point their finger and blame someone for some horseshit, I will take it as admision of their involvement.

Wiseman say, if you believe what FBI Director say, then you believe everything you read in Chinese Fortune Cookie. Translation FBI have head up their ***, this was inside job, with cooperation of marketing guru's cause it didn't take very long, as the movie came out anyway, and they sure started to make a pile of money off it, and my bet is, is that the script for the next James Bond movie is sitting at home on on some higher up Sony Head's computer, who will conviently announce that he had a backup of it, and that filming of the next James Bond movie will proceed as planned.

Comey is spewing so much bs. Think for yourself for awhile to see how deeply flawed his arguments are. North Korea, while a country whose people starve to death, their hacker unit is very very well funded, those hackers are the best they got and they wouldn't make a mistake of not using a "proxy". Even script kiddies know how to use a proxy... It may or may not be NK behind the attacks, whatever it is, always question the government and what they "information" they are feeding you, especially coming from a position of very high power in the FBI/CIA.

Back