FBI reveals how it discovered the geographic location of Silk Road web servers

Himanshu Arora

Staff

The mystery surrounding how the FBI managed to trace the geographic location of Silk Road web servers, which were supposed to be obscured behind the anonymity service Tor, has apparently been resolved.

According to former FBI agent Christopher Tarbell, Silk Road's login page employed a CAPTCHA that pulled content from the open Internet, revealing the online black market's IP address and thus its physical location.

Tarbell said that while examining the individual packets of data being sent back from the website, he along with another member of the CY-2 squad of the FBI New York Field Office noticed that the headers of some of the packets reflected a specific IP address that was not associated with any known Tor node as the source of the packets.

When they entered that IP address directly into an ordinary (non-TOR) browser, the Silk Road’s CAPTCHA prompt appeared. "Based on my training and experience, this indicated that the Subject IP Address was the IP address of the SR Server, and that it was 'leaking' from the SR Server because the computer code underlying the login interface was not properly configured at the time to work on Tor", Tarbell said.

For those who aren't in the know, the Tor network disguises your identity by bouncing your traffic across different Tor servers, but as clearly stated in the Tor how-to, it protects only those applications that are properly configured to send their Internet traffic through it.

Tarbell made the revelation in response to a request for information from defense lawyers, who had accused the government of carrying out searches in violation of the Fourth Amendment, and asked the agency to reveal if the operation involved NSA wiretaps.

The revelation comes around a year after the FBI shut down the Silk Road and arrested Ross Ulbricht, alleged owner of the website, who was charged with narcotics trafficking conspiracy, computer hacking conspiracy, and money laundering conspiracy.

Permalink to story.

Why would they give this info up? I wouldn't.

Right in the article:
Tarbell made the revelation in response to a request for information from defense lawyers, who had accused the government of carrying out searches in violation of the Fourth Amendment, and asked the agency to reveal if the operation involved NSA wiretaps.

Also, nothing new - SR f'ed up and didn't put their server behind TOR properly which makes it an easy trace.

They are giving up the info because they were being accused of NSA wiretapping and instead claim to have been using good ol' TCP/IP forensics.

They definitely had a long time to fabricate a story. I personally don't care how they did it. But a question certainly remains, who will be next and will the take down be as justifiable?

They definitely had a long time to fabricate a story. I personally don't care how they did it. But a question certainly remains, who will be next and will the take down be as justifiable?

If you're implying that SR was an unjustifiable take-down, then you're either ignorant of the what SR is/was or you're just trying to troll. Can you give an example of an unjustifiable take down to justify your paranoia?

If you're implying that SR was an unjustifiable take-down, then you're either ignorant of the what SR is/was or you're just trying to troll. Can you give an example of an unjustifiable take down to justify your paranoia?

He's not questioning the validity of the takedown of SR in the slightest. Rather, he's speculating as to whether or not the "real" methodology used (if in fact it was not what they described) may wind up abused down the line, potentially against someone that doesn't deserve it.

Maybe read the comment thoroughly at least once before you jump down someone's throat?

What concerns me, is I am finding little ways to interact with servers from other nations. I want to know whats going on around the world other then what my own government allows me to see.

According to the bible, people wanted to have visions/hallucinations. Your freedom of religion in the constitution should give you the right to hallucinigens.

It has been found out the FBI owns tor that is why they wish to say that the capsa did it so they dont release that they own it.. one of the biggest trogen horses around

The FBI would never give out their tracking processes. I would bet the process used was illegal. And if it was illegal, they have no case. So they are going to pull an "IRS" here.
I don't "buy" their explanation that captured captcha data packets contained the Real Silk "real" IP address. I would have to do some more research, but it seems the captcha packets would go from the captcha server to the public IP's of Tor. No need for the packets to go to the real Silk Road IP. From working in networks, I would have to assume that Silk Road had more than 1 "real" IP address, so thats another "red flag" I see.
Nice try FBI.
And then I have to type a captcha to post this LOL!!!

According to the bible, people wanted to have visions/hallucinations. Your freedom of religion in the constitution should give you the right to hallucinigens.
Go pick some shrooms. No one is going to stop you.

Who the hell wears a hoody while driving a PC? what you gonna hide your face from? *nerd*

]According to the bible, people wanted to have visions/hallucinations. Your freedom of religion in the constitution should give you the right to hallucinogens. People should be allowed to use any substance they want as long as they do not infringe upon other peoples inherit individual freedoms. Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs out there yet it is widely accepted by our society. Some people can consume it in moderation and responsibly but there is also a significant number of people who abuse it. Alcohol is one of the only drugs that can kill you from withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol can also be deadly in sufficient quantities. When compared to THC, the main active ingredient in marijuana, alcohol is far more dangerous with a significantly higher potential for abuse and permanent brain damage. I would rather deal with a society filled with a bunch of stoner's than a bunch of belligerent, aggressive drunks. Even in regards to situations as extreme as driving under the influence I would prefer a stoner over a drunk.

I would rather deal with a society filled with a bunch of stoner's than a bunch of belligerent, aggressive drunks.
I would rather deal with a society that does neither. I know they both impair judgement and totally screw up motor control. You can take your one is better than the other BS and feed it to someone that doesn't know better.

Back