Few problems with HD4850. Boot + Vista issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_a_newbie

First off, it's a new build

HD4850
E8400 (which only runs at 2.00ghz for some reason, oh well I'll deal with that later)
P5Q-Pro
Corsair 750W

Anyway, for the initial boot, the boot sequence would only display off the DVI port closer to the motherboard, okay, that's fine.

After installing windows Vista 64 bit, it only would display everything post boot (Windows splash and whatnot) on the other port. I can't get them to display on the same port...

Also another issue, I can't seem to get the right drivers, or something else is wrong, but my HD4850 won't change resolutions (it did with no ati drivers, up to 1400x1050) but now it stays at 800x600 and all other resolutions yield nothing.

THanks!

as for the E8400 only running at 2.00ghz have u turned off the speed step options in the bios?

Could this be a hardware issue? I've tried several re-installs of Vista and that won't fix it either.

EDIT

Okay, it's definitely something wrong with either the card itself or the card's drivers, as it displays out of the same output as the boot sequence up until I install catalyst.

Before and even after catalyst is installed, the colours are all messed up and leave a blue grainy effect on everything though. Would a bad card be the cause of all this?

EDIT2

Also happens on XP 64 bit, does this mean it's a hardware issue? Could a bad mobo cause this? Or only GPU?

EDIT3

Here's the kicker folks!

So I grabbed an old Radeon X850XT from a friend, same issues, all of them. I figure why the hell not try the D-Sub connector. Guess what? Flawless!

So I had a theory, and hooked up the HD4850 again. Voila, DVI-VGA connector works perfectly.

So what's the differential diagnosis for cards that work properly not displaying well via DVI, but doing it flawlessly over VGA/D-Sub? Bad Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back