Fibre Cable HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Fibre Channel HDD

Hey guys,

I have a Seagate Cheetah ST336605FC HDD. It uses a "fibre channel" connection. I was just wondering if this type of HDD is compatible with a PC. If so, where can I find one of these cables?

Thanks

Are you talking about Fibre Channel?

You need a Fibre Channel adapter and an enclosure for your drive. Expect a budget of roughly $1500+ :)

i have researched fibre channel a little bit. It appears to be a "new interface" which allows for more speed, up to 100mbits, instead of 40-80mbits for SCSI. It also allows for 126 max drives on one loop, instead of 15 supported by SCSI. On top of this, you can un/plug drives while the system is in operation.

I would buy that drive, so long as your system supports it :giddy:

For more info http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/fibre_channel.html

Ph30nix.

I got the drive for free from a server at work...i think. I'm not willing to spend that much money on it :haha: . I just wanted to know if I could use it or not.

And Nodsu, if you go to Phoenix's link, you will see that it says fibre channel is cheap because it doesn't need any adaptors.

Thanks

Ph30nIX: looks like your "research" was just a visit to this Seagate marketing page with dated information..

Currently FC can do 2 gigabits per second (~200MBytes) and you can have up to ~16 million FC nodes when you use a FC switch.
The current SCSI standard - U320 allows for 320MBytes per second.
Both SCSI and FC are hotplug capable.

Kevin: If you don't need an FC adapter then good luck connecting that FC gear to your PC or anything else that doesn't have FC built in.. I don't know what Seagate means by the no needed adapters but you do need a FC card in every machine you want to connect to the FC fabric..

I use a 2 Gb fibre channel connection to my X-Serve RAID. The fibre channel card cost $900 alone.

No, it means there are other versions of the drive with SCSI interfaces like ST336605LC, ST336605LW, ST336605LCV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back