File and printer sharing frustration ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

seems i am not the only one to have come across this error - only all the net searching in the world still doesn't appear to have provided the solution?!

basically, am trying to enable file and printer sharing between two xp machines ona home network.

problem is, having selected/installed them for the appropriate adapter in network connections (and having checked all other elements that should be in place from other posts across the www), when i click on ok i keep getting the message:

"Your current selection will also disable the following components:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Are you sure you want to disable these component(s)?"

of course, if i say no, then i return to the same dialogue box with these unchecked. if i say yes, it closes, but equally having unchecked them?!

pls can someone help - i am about to uninstall the network adapter, reboot and try again, but last time i tried all this i seemed to make no advance in this area, only messed up my network connections so that none were listed (even though i had connection aok).

yours in quiet desperation .. cheers!

neil.

Eh?

You've done something strange.

In ANY Windows 2000 or XP machine I have seen, you install File and Print sharing, and then proceed to simple right click either folders or printers to share them. You can set share permissions or NTFS ones for folders.

Maybe you had better take us through what you have done a little more clearly. Why not write down step by step what you are trying, from installing the network adapter to sharing, and we will analyse your problem from there.

hi,

thanks but i just got success - by uninstalling my network adapters and then reinstalling (with the latest off the web).

hope this helps anyone else out there with the same issues ..!

cheers again.

neil. :D

Having The Same Problem

Neil,

I have the same problem you had with the following message:

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks "

I attempted your solution by reinstalling the latest microsoft client from the web, but I could not find it on microsoft's web site. Maybe you can tell me exactly where you downloaded the latest client and file and printer sharing updates"

thanks,

Sir Lancelot:(

I was about to say, yea, it is a good idea to just remove both of those adapters and re-install them. Good job.

yeah

so anyone else can use your comp..............hehe..................not me...............that puppy is disabled until maybe i find a use for it........then it's back to the doghouse

Actually, JSR, most people with home networks are behind a DSL Router/Switch and with changes in Services and Local Policies are very insulated from such abuses, and there are Software Firewalls that do a good job at protecting your system too.

I've only had two direct attacks on my system and because of password complexity and account lockout policies they gave up very quickly.

If you're worried about such problems then you can use 'Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer' to tighten up your security.

Re: Having The Same Problem

Originally posted by Sir Lancelot
Neil,

I have the same problem you had with the following message:

I attempted your solution by reinstalling the latest microsoft client from the web, but I could not find it on microsoft's web site. Maybe you can tell me exactly where you downloaded the latest client and file and printer sharing updates"

thanks,

Sir Lancelot:(

Have you try windows update for xp? Windows update will scan for necessary updates, keeping all you files and patches up to date before performing downloads of any updates.

Neil and Sir. Lancelot:

I am also having the same problem you both had with the following message:

It's driving me nuts...

I attempted your solution by reinstalling the latest microsoft client from the web, but I also could not find it on microsoft's web site. Maybe you can tell me exactly where you downloaded the latest client and file and printer sharing updates?

Please reply...

thanks,

Antonio
tony01@pipeline.com

Hello

I am also having the exact same problem.

I have a linksys WRT54G router.
I have an HP laptop with a true moblie 802.11b mini-PCI running WinXP pro that works fine on the network

Evrything was working fine with the router connected to my desktop via ethernet.
ONce I got a cable modem, I put a linksys WMP54G PCI (802.11g) card into my desktop (the positioning of available cable outlets and the fact I am retning and cannot run cat-5 make a wired connection not an option) and put the router with the cable modem in another room.

Now I still am fine with the laptop by my Desktop is troublsome.
My signal strength is a fairly constant very good (4 bars), and the link speed shows up at 48 MBps or higher. I have internet connectivity.

However, in WirelessConnectionProperties->General, i cannot select "client for microsoft networks" or "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" all it does is pop up a window with "your current selection will disable the following components" message and whether i click yes or no they remain unchecked.

As a result (i think) i cannot see my file sharing network even though i have run the setup wizard w/o problems.

Also my desktop internet runs very slow for a cable connection with 802.11g - i download at 2-3 kbps, while the laptop gets well 100 kbps.

i have updated via windowsupdate.com, i have symantec running with brand virus defs, i can ping both the computers and the router from either computer. I have enabled netBIOS in the advanced setting. This is the only Google hit that even is showing the same problem. I have updated the drivers for my desktop WLAN card. Nothing works.

I hate to seem dense, but if you could step through the network adapter update procedure used in excruicating detail I would apprciate it.

Sorry for the length of the post I wanted every detail I could think of availble in case it triggers an idea in somebody.

Thanks,
Fatman

I too had this problem. It was the posts in this thread that allowed me to fix it after 2 months of frustration.

I have two xp computers on a home network. All of a sudden I couldn't access them from one another although both could access the internet. If I went in and tried to check the microsoft network and file sharing options I got the same "no help" message that has been referred to in these post.

It appears the problem is caused by a corrupted network adapter driver. The solution is to FIRST get the most current driver for your adapter downloaded from the net and stored locally. The repair process will shut off your internet access so make sure you already have the new driver. It may be that the latest driver is also the same as the one you have. That's ok...the problem is the one installed is corrupted and must be replaced.

Go to your hardware device manager and click on your network adapter. The trick here is to UNINSTALL or REMOVE your driver. You'll get a warning that you are removing your hardware...no prob. After doing this you can restart to get the new hardware wizard to "redetect" your adapter. Then choose the option to install drive from a specific location. Point the wizard to whereever you placed the driver and....bingo. Restart your computer again after all of this and you should be back up and working again.

Windows can be SUCH a pain in the ***! Thank God for the internet and all of you who share your solutions. It's been the only way I've been able to solve numerous problems when all else has failed.

Me Too

I have quite an amusing problem... same message but on a HP DL380 Exchange server...... the problem is there is no network connection and I have 5 hours to get it back up and running before users get in on site. I'm using Windows 2003 server and exchange 2003 server. I've tried everything and it doesn't work. Before I reinstalled the network cards I could still connect via outlook clients but couldn't browse to the server across network neighbourhood. A plum at HP told me to reinstall the latest NIC drivers, (which I did) and now I can't get anything working... hahahaha, I wonder whose going to lose their job tomorrow!!! I HATE HP SUPPORT!!! :knock:
:knock:

Hooray

This site is pretty damn cool. Well done to everyone on this thread, it's now working! After uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC drivers I uninstalled the Client for Microsoft Networks, rebooted and reinstalled the cfmn and VOILA, it works..

This is a great community site, keep it going, you will be seeing more of me here!!

Yay!

I was seeing this same error, I googled it and you were the first listing returned. Uninstalling and reinstalling the net adapter from the devicer manager worked like a charm and I just wanted to say YOU ROCK.

Thank you soooooo much!! :bounce:

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you got yourself all straightened away.
Hope to see you around ;)

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Just a thank you note

Although its 1:38 am and it took me a couple of minutes to register on the site, access my email, and activate the account, but i was persistent to do it just to be able to post this reply and thank all of you for posting such information,

And a special thanks to the person who found the solution for this problem, which i believe is neil, and taking the time to post the solution, since this really helps, and as they say what goes around, comes around.

So thank you neil.

And i would like to thank the hosts of this site, for providing such an informative tool.

Best Regards to all,

Sameh Riad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back