File sharing / Home Network Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Recently connect to ASDL

i would like to know how to set up my laptop to my desktop with file sharing allowed between both computers.

I am using a Netcomm ASDL Modem Router NB1300 to connect to the internet. Both computers connect to this Via Ethernet cables..

O/S on both computers are Win XP..

Both computers are used at different intervals so both must be able to connect to the internet indvidullay (understand that can not share files if other computer not turn on)

Is this possible to setup with what i have??

all help appricated instruction on set up would be great..

thanks
Yankeebean

well according to this site http://www.netcomm.com.au/ADSL/NB1300.php you can connect to computers to the net using one in ethernet and one in usb. but im not sure if you would be able to share files etc. it mentions on the site that you can combine your modem with a switch which will distribute the internet to whichever computers are connected. A switch will let the computers communicate and therefore you can share files.

Hope this helps

ps.Setting up file sharing is simple. Once you have your home network setup (using the wizard?) just find the folders you would like to share, right click and click sharing and security. Then make that a shared folder.

Share a folder on one PC and configure permissions to allow everyone full control (XP default is read only). Then browse to that PC from the other PC via its ip address. Make sure you turn off any firewalls too. You may have to set-up a local admin account on the shared pc too.

Browse to the ip address using a run command. Type it like this:

\\ipaddress\

when u hit enter you should be either prompted for a username\password or it will open a folder with printers and faxes and the folder you shared.

I used to have a Netcomm NB1300 (blue one!) and i had it connected to my home PC via USB, then ran an ethernet cable from its 1 ethernet port to a 5-port switch & any devices i ran off the switch obtained an ip address fine and could use the internet.

yankeebean said:
I am using a Netcomm ASDL Modem Router NB1300 to connect to the internet. Both computers connect to this Via Ethernet cables..
your router has DHCP and your in business w/o additional equipment.
both (or all four!) systems can share the internet independently or at the same time.

requirements for file sharing:
all on the same WORKGROUP name (see control->system)
enable print file sharing on all systems, using Simple FS
(for other than MS Firewall, enable ports 139+445, all LAN addresses only, udp+TCP)

for all systems: enable the GUEST account, set a well known password, and then disable the account.
this is what will be used to access the SHARES.
for the folder being shared, allow CHANGES if so desired.

looked on the Netcomm Website and found the below information

An enhanced version of NetComm’s ever popular NB1300 ADSL Modem/Router, the NB1300PLUS4 combines an ADSL modem with USB and 10/100 Ethernet interfaces, Router and a 4-port 10/100 Switch. The Router features NAT/PAT (network/port address translation) and dynamic IP address allocation. With dynamic addressing, a device can have a different IP address every time it connects to the network. Combined with the integrated NAT routing function, this provides a type of firewall by hiding internal IP addresses from the outside world. In addition, the 4 port 10/100 Switch can share a single ADSL connection with all users from the day you install it

So if i am correct i should be able to connect the network if i use the connects through a gateway setting....

Is this correct???

If you know anything about networking i'd stay away from simple file sharing. It can be turned off by opening my computer and going to TOOLS - FOLDER OPTIONS - select the VIEW tab - scroll down and turn off simple file sharing. I say this because it allows you to then configure NTFS permissions more in depth.

Share something on one pc as a test (a test folder). Right click it and select sharing and security. share it out (as whatever) and configure permissions. By default, Windows sets read-only share permissions. make sure you allow the group EVERYONE full control. Do this within the Security tab also.

Have fun! :grinthumb

unfortunally i dont know much about networking...

although I do need to share the file between the 2 computers..

ok now,

both computer have the same WORKGROUP name. i can see both computer on both machines, Trouble is....

i can only access the laptop form the Desktop. when i try to access the desktop fron the laptop i receive this error msg..

---------------------------
Home
\\Rebecca is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

OK

This is what i dont understand as we have administrators rights on both computers...

ya left out the rest of model number would help a lot
when asking computer ??'s don't leave out the details

yes this is all you need
should read manual and or there website faq's on router setup and your nic setup
do search here before asking for help it will already be posted I'd bet on it
google has tons of key word searchs to website that specialize in homw networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back