Files bypassing recycle bin

hesetmefree2010

Can someone tell me why deleted files mostly bypass my recycle bin on xp? It is not set to bypass and it is not a corrupt bin as it seems to happen on every xp machine I have (my last posted issue happens on each machine so I am assuming it is something to do with xp). Also how can I go about retrieving stuff I deleted but is not in the recycle bin?

Cheers.

Couple questions:

What do you mean by *mostly*?

Are you deleting them from a network location or locally? When you delete a file from the network it pretty much just goes *poof*.

Other than that, a sticky shift key maybe?

Couple questions:

What do you mean by *mostly*?

Are you deleting them from a network location or locally? When you delete a file from the network it pretty much just goes *poof*.

Other than that, a sticky shift key maybe?

I'm deleting them from hard drive and flash drive. Things such as set up files I had on my flash drive.

1) Rt click on your Recyle Bin and check its Properties (including which drives are using it and how large it is)

2) Also note
> Files too large for the bin are just deleted (though you should get a warning)
> The bin has limited storage space for "Recycling" so as you delete new files that get put there, old files are permanently removed to make space

Are you looking in the bin immediately after deleting? Or are you looking after while by the time they've "truly been deleted"?

1) Rt click on your Recyle Bin and check its Properties (including which drives are using it and how large it is)

2) Also note
> Files too large for the bin are just deleted (though you should get a warning)
> The bin has limited storage space for "Recycling" so as you delete new files that get put there, old files are permanently removed to make space

Are you looking in the bin immediately after deleting? Or are you looking after while by the time they've "truly been deleted"?

It isn't set to permanent delete and size of drive reserved for recylcle is 10% (I have 160gig net book). It is set to give warnings but none were given for the file I tried to retrieve. I do not delete very often so there is hardly anything in the recycle

If the file is important and you have no other copies you could use an application like recuver to recover the file. I've used it to great effect in the past and highly recommend it.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that - your problem pushes the boundaries of my knowledge, as I'd be asking the same questions after checking what you had.

Also, if it was on a flash memory stick its still possible its in the .Trash folder (you need to change folder options to view all files) to find it. Recuver should still find it as long as you haven't overwritten where it was located though.

If the file is important and you have no other copies you could use an application like recuver to recover the file. I've used it to great effect in the past and highly recommend it.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that - your problem pushes the boundaries of my knowledge, as I'd be asking the same questions after checking what you had.

Also, if it was on a flash memory stick its still possible its in the .Trash folder (you need to change folder options to view all files) to find it. Recuver should still find it as long as you haven't overwritten where it was located though.

Couldn't find where to set folder options to view all files. Think I may as well just re-download the set up file. Will probably save time. And I'll be careful what I delete in future.

Thanks to all for their input. Appreciated.

Flash Drives (and network accessed Shares) have files deleted immediately by design.

Local Files go thru the R.B. and there is a registry hack to even avoid that path, but
at the moment I don't seem to find it - - -

Back