Finding a career path with 10 years experience but no traditional background.

I'm a computer nerd. I've been one since I first started playing with the Duke Nukem 3d level editor prompting me to get a book on C++ and start learning programming. I've always had an interest in computers when I got out of the military I landed a job putting them together for a company at pretty modest pay.

5 years into that job the owner found out I like to program, now I hadn't been doing a ton of it but I messed around with lua and javascript a bit. HTML of course. Anyway he had me start developing for his cloud service using server side javascript on a platform he maintained. I gained a lot of experience over the next 5 years in a mish mash of different areas. I made several web applications using our cloud, created a windows service in c# so our cloud could interface with our video servers, learned how to compile OpenWRT with custom configurations, even modified the bluez files to get it working how we wanted. I designed a back end for SoCs using LUA to interface with the web, tied in third party APIs for an internet music service, integrated Amazon Alexa into our cloud platform using. I taught myself Node.js to test it all at home, even set up a mongoDB database and Oauth2 using mongoose and passport.

So while I've had experience in a lot of different things and have a knack for just figuring stuff out, well it's time I need to consider how to turn this into a professional career. Our company got purchased by a larger one so I had to find new employment. I was making 17.50 an hour here, pretty modest pay compared to a lot of developer salaries, and I was extremely close to landing a position for 70k a year as a node developer. However I was very transparent about my lack of experience coding with a team, and that I was completely self taught. They decided my skills were too junior and I ended up getting a different job through a friend at a slight pay raise. I'll be working with two other programmers on a lot of proprietary systems for a medical company.

So I'm looking forward, I certainly don't want to be stuck at 20/hr for the rest of my life. I'm 32 and not getting any younger, and coming so close to getting a position for nearly double what I've been making for a while has really got me thinking about how to pursue some certifications that could land me a professional career.

The AWS certifications are certainly intriguing to me, however I question the ability to land a job with that certification alone. I have no experience managing an AWS server outside of a simple lambda function I created for Alexa, and I can't see how I could get experience in a position like that. I'm looking for any advice on ways to pursue a professional career, what certifications are worth pursuing, and how feasible it would be to land a high paying position given my career history. Any advice, stories, whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Speaking from 45 years experience in another field, IMHO that degrees, certifications, etc do help get in the door and into the first interview - however, doing something you have 'never done' presents risk to many potential employers. So be willing to come in 'cheap' (ie, what you get now) for an employer who will try you out on a team. How long before you have proven your team-mindedness? 6-8 months. Certifications? Yes, but focus on identifying and filling in what you do not know - the certification is a door opener, but knowledge and experience are what you get paid for. If you are really well grounded, take the previous or practice version of the certification test upfront - identify weaknesses - fix'em - take the certification for real. Don't take expensive courses - take tests and fill in weaknesses.

Back