Finding the right driver (if that's even the problem)

I have an hp probook running Windows 7 that the screen stopped working for. I just got it back from having the screen replaced and everything is really big. Some googling told me that I probably just needed to change the resolution, but there is no option to do that in the control panel. (There is also some kind of split multiple monitors, which is the only option under display, but I figure that will get fixed if I can fix everything else?)

upload_2017-7-2_16-38-52.png

Everywhere online, it seems like this is probably a driver issue. I tried to update the driver for the display adapter, but Windows says that it is up to date. In the device manager, it says Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, so I also found the driver online from Intel but I got an error that it was not validated for my computer. upload_2017-7-2_16-37-11.png

So how do I find the right driver (if that is even the actual problem)?

If Device Manager was happy with the existing driver, that is probably 'ok'.

I believe resolution can be adjusted from right clicking on an empty part of the Desktop - display settings. I think you want to set resolution at 'native' level (sometimes called recommended). There should also be a slider which adjusts size of "text and other things".

Guessing that the service to fix screen used an external monitor with a different resolution - and that you may need to release the setting for the second monitor after setting the laptop display as 'primary'.

Cycloid Torus, you were right about setting the laptop display to primary. Thank you so much.

For the future reference of anyone who might have a similar problem, in screen resolution, under the multiple displays drop down menu, I changed "duplicate these displays" to "show desktop only on 1." This fixed the problem.

Back