Fine tuning with a 2x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the techie says to the PC Doctor, "My cpu makes a lot of noise and won't autoboot upright. When I have it lying down on its side it runs perfectly." Dr says, "Well son, just keep the cpu on its side." Sadly space constraints won't allow me to keep the unit on it side. So I'm here to seek a second opinion.

The unit is a 3 year old Dell Optiplex from a local Uni's surplus so I don't have any of the orig disks. When it is upright the unit starts up with a loud whirling sound. It brings up the Dell logo on a black background but then quickly prompts for F1 or F2 keys to be pressed. When the unit is laying on its side all is quiet and the unit auto starts Windows. I apologize if this is not the right section to post but it seems to be related to the hard drive and its connectivity or lack thereof.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to fix.

Perhaps the heatsink is loose, and not contacting with the processor when its standing up. Take the side of the case off and see if you can wiggle the heatsink, also find out where the noise is comming from. Check that all your data and power cables are seated properly.

Thanks SNGX1275

Thanks SNGX1275. I took off the case, checked the connections, and fired up the unit. The loud whirling sound from the harddrive is now down to a slight hum. All seems back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back