Firefox dying?

Not a tech. FF was free and decent. Last several versions if I didn't update, repeated, annoying reminders that got worse and larger and harder to remove as I blocked them. Now on FF 71 I find out I have to 'reload' flash every time I play certain games, that FF removed the 'always activate' option. I would use an older FF version but then here come the interuptive reminders. Never tried Chrome and IE used to be a joke. Might be time to try something else. BTW, I'm a huge W7 fan, W10 as I understand it requires promises to MS to allow them to keep their hands in my computer. UBUNTU scared me when I tried it years ago and I have no use for Apple. Sad that was once a great, free, hassle free internet has become a cesspool of greed and a line of arrogant egomaniacs trying to control every aspect of it. If I wanted that crap I'd follow the news, people, and politics. Glad I'm 65. CIAO!

Not a tech. FF was free and decent. Last several versions if I didn't update, repeated, annoying reminders that got worse and larger and harder to remove as I blocked them. Now on FF 71 I find out I have to 'reload' flash every time I play certain games, that FF removed the 'always activate' option. I would use an older FF version but then here come the interuptive reminders. Never tried Chrome and IE used to be a joke. Might be time to try something else. BTW, I'm a huge W7 fan, W10 as I understand it requires promises to MS to allow them to keep their hands in my computer. UBUNTU scared me when I tried it years ago and I have no use for Apple. Sad that was once a great, free, hassle free internet has become a cesspool of greed and a line of arrogant egomaniacs trying to control every aspect of it. If I wanted that crap I'd follow the news, people, and politics. Glad I'm 65. CIAO!
I use both google chrome & ff & also play 2 games using flash which I have no issue with reloading from game to game, https://www.webpacman.com/mspacman.php
& https://n-blox.com/ . 99% of the time I'm using GC. I'm using W10. Good luck

FLASH is always an issue, as it is no longer supported -- the web has gone on to HTML5

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use Firefox these days much because Firefox like most browser these days use up all my RAM whe you have some tabs open almost 4 GB of RAM is used these days.

I mostly use Linux light browsers made for Linux works on Windows too where I can have 8 tabs open and use only 30% of my 4 GB of RAM. Well most web sites will display okay the odd web sites the layout will be all mess up because the browser is updated by small less than 1% market share used.

I switched to Chrome two years ago due to the extensions error. Some of the most important extensions are not available on Firefox.

Remove all extensions and plugins and FF runs nicely. I use FF 71.0 as my primary daily and frequently run to 4-5 tabs.

I use both FF and Chrome. I find FF runs Gmail infinitely better then Chrome ironically, so I'll probably stick to that. My only gripe with FF is the default font is quite small and the font rendering is terrible. I hope it gets better in the future.

I use both FF and Chrome. I find FF runs Gmail infinitely better then Chrome ironically, so I'll probably stick to that. My only gripe with FF is the default font is quite small and the font rendering is terrible. I hope it gets better in the future.
Can;t you go into Tools>Options & go to Fonts & colors to change font size??

Firefox has the equivalent of Opera's speed dial.
Yep
I've been using Speed Dial FVD for several years.

Yep
I've been using Speed Dial FVD for several years.

It's built in. And has been "for several years". You don't need an add-on.

I ended up switching to opera lately for the fact that it has the speed dial and application integration on the toolbar. I'm sure others have this configured in some way but for now I feel comfortable using it over firefox.

Jim, you've summarized it pretty well. As the guys said, Flash is going the way of the dodo come December, Chrome's been throwing out warnings for a year now.

As to Firefox... A long string of bad decisions has basically lead to this. Their market share has been constantly dwindling for quite a while now, so this aggressiveness is their way of trying to regain some foothold.

And Linux...You might want to give it another chance, it's been much improved lately. It can play games quite well, and any other tasks are a breeze. As long as it's not missing that piece of proprietary software you absolutely cannot live without, it's a solid choice.

Guess I'm contarian as I'm now on FF 80.0 and very pleased with it. As I also don't play any games Flash is not am issue to me.

Firefox I consider no better than Chrome. As I prepare to transition from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro, it will not survive the move. I will only be using derivative browsers on my new rig. Been hating Firefox for a couple years now, but tolerated it because of the addons, and it was one of only three browsers that kinda sorta work on XP. With Mozilla Mothership's edict to mass sabotage the addons, combined with the developers OCD-like fixation on preventing user customization, packing in surreptitious telemetry (and forced autoupdates), it was time to be done with it....plus moving on to Win 7 gives me enough browser choices that I no longer have to use subpar ones. Over the last year I have forgotten how many times that poor excuse for a browser gave me a 'Firefox has a problem and needs to close', or it was frozen, or I closed it but it never stopped running and now I have to figure a way to really close it.

Chrome and Chromium browsers are LilBro Google's all-seeing eye, reminiscent of the '1984' novel. Some or all of the spyware has been removed from its derivatives (Iridium, Advanced Chrome, Superbird, Comodo Dragon, Epic, Slimjet, etc.), so these are safer to use. Basilisk, Waterfox, Comodo IceDragon, & CyberFox still allow addons, and likely have less telemetry, so I would count these as acceptable replacements to Firefox. I'd stay far away from IE and Opera. The latter functions like the worst malware I ever saw when I tried to uninstall it. For Linux, try MX Linux. I tried over twenty distros, and only it, Linux Mint, Kodachi Linux, and TAILS proved usable. Been running MX Linux in LiveCD mode nearly every day for about a year, and will be installing it on the secondary HDD (actually an SSD) on my new rig. It is easy to figure out, has an excellent user's manual, and a forum where the people are not uppity with newbies.

The problem with Firefox like all new browsers today is it is very bloated and slow down your computer if you have a old computer.

I have not had any problems in past month or two of Firefox freezing or crashing. It just bloated and slow down old computers.

The mobile version of Firefox for IOS is not great at all and the Firefox for android is like a kid under the age of 12 will probably put better Firefox than what they have for android.

Well sadly Firefox has low market shares and the dev team don’t put any where close to time they do with the desktop version.

Back