Firefox OS nightly builds available for testing on Windows, Mac or Linux

Jos

Staff

Earlier this month Mozilla announced it is renaming its Boot to Gecko operating system for smartphones to Firefox OS while touting support from major carriers worldwide. Although the first Firefox OS-powered devices aren’t expected to arrive until sometime in 2013, Mozilla’s engineering team has begun posting nightly desktop builds of Firefox OS online for anyone to play with on their computers.

The builds provide an x86 Firefox OS runtime compatible with all major PC platforms -- OS X, Windows and Linux -- and can't be sent to a phone or tablet. The idea is for the project’s contributors to test the Gaia shell and applications that are built for the platform, as well as giving early access to third party developers who might want to start building applications that are compatible with Firefox OS.

firefox

As reported earlier, Mozilla’s mobile operating system is entirely open source and built with standards-based web technologies such as HTML5 and CSS, making it extremely customizable.

Looking at early screenshots and demo videos the Firefox OS interface resembles Android and iOS, offering typical functions like calling, texting, calendar, contacts and more though a grid of icons. That said, it’s important to note that this is still a work in progress and the nightly builds may not necessarily be indicative yet of what the final user experience will be like.

You can read more about the nightly builds, including setup instructions, in a blog post published yesterday by Mozilla’s Tony Chung and the Gaia Hacking Wiki page.

Permalink to story.

If their OS is as buggy as their browser I think I'll pass.
I would use it then since I have had more problems with Chrome then I ever did with Firefox, anecdotal evidence is awesome huh?

Define 'buggy' Mr. User?
Was that meant for me or the poster I responded too? s for me Chrome has had problems playing YouTube videos (odd since they are both Google owned), have had websites where the page just crashes randomly and other little things that just don't work (certain buttons not doing anything when clicked. These are problems I never have on Firefox, actually I don't think I have had any big problems with Firefox at all.

I would use it then since I have had more problems with Chrome then I ever did with Firefox, anecdotal evidence is awesome huh?
I use to frequently have that problem on linux, what's up with that?
Define 'buggy' Mr. User?
Was that meant for me or the poster I responded too? s for me Chrome has had problems playing YouTube videos (odd since they are both Google owned), have had websites where the page just crashes randomly and other little things that just don't work (certain buttons not doing anything when clicked. These are problems I never have on Firefox, actually I don't think I have had any big problems with Firefox at all.

Sorry my comment didn't show for some reason, what I meant to say was I used to have the same problem using chrome on linux, it was very frustrating, but I kept using Chrome on Windows though.

Please don't feed the trolls. Anybody who leaves a one line comment "FF is buggy" deserves not to be even dignified with a reply. ;)

Anyone notice that it resembles the Android OS?? Firefox's "rivalry" on Google Chrome for becoming a more popular browser...
If its performance and app variety rivals Android then why not I say?

Back