TechSpot

Firewall problems + Wireless problems

By munaim
Sep 9, 2006
  1. I'm sorry to start a new thread, but the solutions I found gave the solution, but only temporarily.

I get the firewall Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running error. I reset the winsock, search with Spybot and destroy, and check in Control Panel that the settings are set to automatic, then restart, and it works. But after a short while, it just ceases to work.:(

And also, each time I fold down the top of the laptop and open it back up later, I get the wireless error: Windows cannot configure this wireless connection, if you have enabled another program to use this... But this happens ONLY when I fold it down and back up.

Is there a permanent solution to these problems?:(

2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

As far as folding down the Laptop, what (in power management) is the computer set to do when the laptop is closed? If it's set to Hibernate change it to either shut down or go to standby and disable hibernation by unchecking the box. Hibernation can cause problems with some Laptops.
    Turn off Windows Firewall and use either Sygate Personal Firewall or the free Zone Alarm one.

3. munaim

munaim TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's set to standby.

The thing is, the firewall is always turned on, and then I can't do anything. When I repeat the method, I turn off the firewall, but with a restart it goes back to turned on.

:(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.