Firewire PCIe install issues

gnrtool82

Hello

I recently acquired a Drobo and as we know firewire is indeed faster than USB. Problem, my computer doesn't have a firewire 1394B (Firewire 800) port. So, I bought a PCIE firewire card.

My first problem came when I realized my computer doesn't have a 4 pin floppy power supply as the card needed. I then purchased (probably should have done more research at this point..) a 4 pin floppy converter to 4 pin Molex, and a SATA to 4 pin Molex converter.

My thinking was that I could plug the SATA converter into one of my extra two SATA cables, the Molex cable into that, then that into the card. And it should work.

But it isn't.

My computer doesn't recognize it whatsoever as being there. The cables and card are secure (checked twice), so it isn't that.

My computer did however, recognize that the SATA power was powering something, just not the card.

I'm thinking I probably should have looked for a 4/6 port PCIE converter to something instead of using my SATA power? Or maybe I just missed something.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

And if you hadn't noticed, I'm kinda just picking this up as I go along, which may very well be the reason I purchased the wrong cables/converters.

update:

I installed new drivers and it seems my computer recognizes it. I plugged in an ipod through the firewire 400 port and it did charge the ipod.

however, the drobo still isn't recognized, and I am not sure why

update 2:

It seems the firewire 400 port only works if there is something plugged into the 800 port. Which doesn't make any sense to me.

I have no idea what is going on, any help is appreciated!

What brand and model PCI-E card did you buy? Does it have two different types of ports?

Back