First AMD build

Status
Not open for further replies.

levar

Project: Black

Instead of going Intel which I would like to do, I decided to go with AMD, why? Just to try something different. To the point, I'm a gamer/designer I do a lot of multi-tasking, I use a lot of Adobe products and I play games mostly MMORPGs, and FPSs. I also do a lot of encoding video related tasks and I watch a lot of high quality Movies and Anime. I want to build a system that can do all this seamlessly currently I can't really do all that and would like to some day.

So far here's my setup:

First thing I know I'm getting is the processor:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

Heat Sink: pending
I would like to OC the CPU I've read it can be easily OC'd so a good stable, durable, quiet heat sink that can keep it cool even when OC'd would do me good.

Thermal Paste: Arcticsilver

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

Videocard: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 -NOT purchasing yet, will use onboard video instead. Will purchase it in the future.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102864

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231180

Optical Drive: decides to purchase @ local Frys

Hard Drive: decides to purchase @ local Frys

Case: Already have (Alienware Case)
But if I had to get one I would purchase the Cosmos 1000 from CoolMasters I <3 that case

PSU: pending
I've decided I won't be purchasing the Radeon HD 5770 yet and will be using onboard video so I'll be using my current stock 450W. But since I plan to run Crossfire in the future what kind of PSU would you recommend me to get? When I do purchase one of the two video cards I'll be using only one for the next 6-7months until I purchase another.

Project: Black

CPU: $119.00
Heat Sink: $
Motherboard: $129.99
Videocard: $164.99 - not added to total
Memory: $94.99
HDD: decides to purchase @ local Frys
Optical Drive: decides to purchase @ local Frys
Case: N/A
PSU: N/A
Thermal Paste: $0.00

Total so far: $349.97

Though I should've mention this first I don't really know what my budget will be but I don't want to spend no more than $600 - $700.

The memory you linked to is DDR 3 1333. It'll work fine with your board but IMO it's overpriced. Go with this kit instead.

For a CPU cooler you could look at the OCZ Vendetta 2 which I'm incidentally using with the identical motherboard and processor. Also you could check out the Xigmatek HDT S1283.

Just ensure that the case is wide enough to accommodate the cooler. I have it inside the Coolermaster CM 690. Also, the OCZ Vendetta 2 covers a part of the first RAM slot. But my RAM module easily fits under it.

All the best with your build. I'm sure you'll love the processor. The motherboard is decent, but some people have said that it's tough to get a very high stable OC on it. For me the X3 720 stays stable up to 3.6 Ghz. That's where I hit a wall. Let us know how it all goes and your OC results. :)

oh it is 1333, thanks for that suggestion going to be using this module instead.
The OCZ Vendetta 2 is out-of-stock so I might just go with the Xigmatek HDT S1283

Yeah I've read the reviews on newegg people are having issues fitting it in. But I'm pretty sure it'll fit.
I want to try and build it buy the end or after Black Friday :) thanks for your help. I'll let you know about my OC results too.

You may even be able to unlock the 4th core in that X3. A nice Quad-core for that price if you can get it unlocked.

In regards to your PSU it should be fine for now even with a 5770. If you plan on doing crossfire in the future you certainly could get by with a 600-650 W unit and probably less since the 5770's are not supposed to suck too much power. It really depends how many HD's and other stuff you may want to connect. Also make sure to pick a PSU that has enough power connectors for your video cards. It will usually say its crossfire certified or something along those lines. Corsair is a well reviewed brand though there are other good choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back