First batch of Microsoft Edge browser extensions now available to Insiders

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft jumped the gun late last year when it inadvertently published a pair of Edge browser extensions for Windows Insider members to test. Now, it's ready for the beta to begin.

The Redmond-based technology giant recently released Windows 10 build 14291 which includes three extensions for its Edge browser. The new extensions – Mouse Gestures, Microsoft Translator and Reddit Enhancement Suite – need to be sideloaded manually. To do so, Windows Insider members can click "More" at the top right in the Edge browser then click "Extensions" to open the extension pane and finally click "Get extensions."

On the Microsoft developer website, the company describes Mouse Gestures as an extension that allows users to perform basic browsing tasks by right-clicking and then gesturing with the mouse. Right-clicking and holding then moving the mouse down and to the right will close the current tab while moving to the left will go back to the previous page.

Microsoft Translator can translate foreign language pages for more than 50 languages. When visiting a foreign language website, simply click the Translator icon to translate the page to your current language. And finally, the Reddit Enhancement Suite is a suite of modules designed to enhance your Reddit browsing experience.

Microsoft says browser extensions will eventually be offered in the Windows Store once the feature exits beta and is available to all users.

Permalink to story.

Once AdBlock arrives for Edge, and they sort out the terrible UI for the favourites/bookmark bar, I may give it another go - the browser itself seemed pretty good.

Kind of a weird installation process . . . I hope they add an extension store for when it goes live to non-insiders.

Kind of a weird installation process . . . I hope they add an extension store for when it goes live to non-insiders.

Extensions will be downloaded from the Windows Store once extensions go to public release.

I want the Adobe Acrobat Pro extensions to work, why do I get the feeling this is asking too much?

Windows 10 is Microsoft's latest n greatest & the best they give us is Edge? it has nothing compared to Firefox or Chrome and I bet even after 2 full yrs, never will. I haven't touched Edge since installing 10 as it was sooo damn barebones!

Back