First batch of Pebble smartwatches begin shipping today

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s been a long time in the making but the Pebble smartwatch is finally ready to go. According to an update posted on the product’s Kickstarter page, the company will start shipping out the first batch of watches to early backers this afternoon although it won’t be as many as they had initially hoped for.

The update notes that they weren’t able to get as many units to the fulfillment center as expected because a number of packages got held up by documentation at the airport. That said, less than 500 watches are being mailed out to their new owners today but they expect to ship more soon.

pebble ios kickstarter digital watch

Furthermore, the company accidentally sent out more address confirmation emails then intended so some people that received confirmation won’t actually receive a tracking number right away. Individuals in that situation are told to expect to wait a few extra days before their smartwatch ships.

The bad news doesn’t end there either, unfortunately. As of writing, the Pebble iOS app is still not available in the App Store. According to developers, the app was submitted two weeks ago and they have been busy responding to reviewer feedback ever since.

As such, early adopters that want to use Pebble with iOS will be able to control music and receive notifications but won’t be able to install new watch faces or upgrade to the latest PebbleOS until the app is available in the App Store. The app will, however, be available in Google Play for Android users starting January 24.

Permalink to story.

The rechargeable battery is 7+ days. So over a week, due to the e-ink screen. Similar to my Kindle Keyboard which I read almost every night, the battery lasts over a month.

Looks pathetic on the picture, compared to the rendering on their official website.

Personally, I don't see any need in such technology. Just because you can create something doesn't mean you have to. It cannot render sufficient information in most cases, and even if it could - who's gonna carry a microscope along to take reading off this thing?

Mark my words, this thing is gonna be thrown off the market by Google Glasses and their look-alike gadgets.

Back