First Linux OS

HiDDeNMisT

Hello world,

So I am some what of a network administrator at my job. Our network is comprised of windows computers and Macs, but no Linux machines at all. They want me to setup a phone server for there VOIP service we get from our ISP but I have no clue how to use linux at all. Any recommendation on destros for a beginner trying to do advance things. But I would also like to learn Linux in the process.

Thanks in advance.

Well given that you need to learn I would recommend you stick close to the distro that will support your works new VOIP service.

If you just want to learn Linux I would recommend something like Linux Mint, or Ubuntu. That said, it depends on what you'll be using at work. If it's going to be RHEL then I strongly recommend you download centOS or Fedora and learn to use that instead as package management and general administration is slightly different on rpm-based distros compared with debian-based distros like Ubuntu and Mint.

So the next step would be to establish what distro of Linux is suitable for running the new service, and then choose the closest distro from there. So what Linux does it need to use?

Actually it doesnt say so Im assuming that I can use any destro and it will work.

EDIT: just found it. I will work on any destro.

RHEL (Red Hat) is the commercial version and Fedora is the Freebe. Package mgmt is identical, but as I recall,
Fedora no longer has he server components - - check out the feature list (eg DNS, DCP, FTPd, Samba services).

If it will work on any distro I'd be inclined to run it on Fedora personally. Fedora uses rpm-based package management as used by RHEL, SuSE (and openSuSE) and centOS among many others. In my experience these distros are more commonly found in the commercial workplace, therefore the skills learnt using their package management utilities will come in useful in future employment.

Back