First pictures, video of Cortana running in Windows 10 surface

Shawn Knight

Staff member

cortana windows apple microsoft desktop siri personal assistant virtual assistant voice assistant windows 10

Microsoft’s answer to Siri and Google Now surfaced earlier this year as Cortana. The virtual assistant is already available on Windows Phone devices and is all but guaranteed to show up in Windows 10 – we just haven’t see any hard evident of it yet… that is, until now.

WinBeta managed to get access to a version of Windows 10 with Cortana. It’s worth pointing out that this is an early, pre-release version meaning the final product will look much more polished than it does in the clip below.

The Cortana experience in Windows 10 will pretty much mirror what’s already available on mobile. For example, users will be able to search maps and get traffic information, set reminders, call people via Skype, control music playback and check the weather, among other things.

As you can see, Cortana doesn’t yet have a “personality” in this early build so you can’t ask it personal questions like “Who are you?” and so forth. This functionality is expected to come baked into the final consumer version, however.

One unknown at this hour is whether or not Windows 10 users will be able to activate Cortana hands-free. Such ability would of course be convenient but we’ll have to wait to see what Microsoft has in store next year.

Microsoft launched a Technical Preview of Windows 10 a few months ago for enthusiasts to check out. A consumer-friendly preview of the OS is expected in early 2015 followed by the actual product launch in late summer or early fall.

Permalink to story.

I use Cortana daily on my Windows phone, and so far, it's performed without a glitch. It does look funny, I suppose, to see me talking to my jeans pocket when I get a text, but if anyone's around I usually just tell it to ignore the text instead of reading it to me from my pocket... Setting reminders is as easy as telling a secretary the same info. I wonder about its usefulness on a desktop, though. Wouldn't be the first time I've failed to see usage possibilities with new technology, though...

I like it.
I think Windows 10 is going to very good and since yours truly skipped 8 (no hate just happy with W7) I plan on upgrading when I move on from my X58 to X99.

[insert uninformed Microsoft hate comment]
I've been waiting on someone to inform me how I can turn the colors off since Win8 came out. As far as I can tell there is no option, so no thank you. And no, I'm not asking to turn the interface off, just the colors. That and I'm still waiting to hear of someone having Aero Glass effects for Win10. Until then I don't want to be informed. You can think of it as MS hate if you want to, I really don't care.

I still think "Ok Google" is very much a huge gimmick. I've got no use for it other than to ask for weather updates and 9 times out of 10 she bs's me.

I've been waiting on someone to inform me how I can turn the colors off since Win8 came out. As far as I can tell there is no option, so no thank you. And no, I'm not asking to turn the interface off, just the colors. That and I'm still waiting to hear of someone having Aero Glass effects for Win10. Until then I don't want to be informed. You can think of it as MS hate if you want to, I really don't care.
colors?

I think he means the colors on the start menu? Maybe he wants them all the same or he wants them black & white.

[insert uninformed Microsoft hate comment]
I agree, even though it has not stopped me from using it, I want it to mirror my phone's start background image

Transparency icons were used for a reason. They were used to blend in with the background and camouflage the square effects of the click-able region surrounding them. Color coding this click-able region is ugly and goes against everything MS has done the previous 20 years. MS either allows the option to turn them off or it is a no sale once again as far as I'm concerned. Such a simple task but yet they seem determined to sell Windows Phone to the desktop users. I'm not buying it!

Put it this way, I would buy a car with huge square colors, if I had the option to peel them off. It's sad in the digital world there are no option. And what is even worse is being laughed at about asking for option. I've not asked for MS to change anything, I've asked for them to add back what they keep taking away as options. Even if it is not part of the install package and has to be downloaded.

I agree, even though it has not stopped me from using it, I want it to mirror my phone's start background image
Maybe you should stop using it, how else are you going to voice your desire to have the option. MS has you where they want you, why would they make additions if you are going to buy regardless.

Transparency icons were used for a reason. They were used to blend in with the background and camouflage the square effects of the click-able region surrounding them. Color coding this click-able region is ugly and goes against everything MS has done the previous 20 years. MS either allows the option to turn them off or it is a no sale once again as far as I'm concerned. Such a simple task but yet they seem determined to sell Windows Phone to the desktop users. I'm not buying it!

Put it this way, I would buy a car with huge square colors, if I had the option to peel them off. It's sad in the digital world there are no option. And what is even worse is being laughed at about asking for option. I've not asked for MS to change anything, I've asked for them to add back what they keep taking away as options. Even if it is not part of the install package and has to be downloaded.

Just to make it clear, I wasn't trying to poke fun at you. That was just the only thing I could think of that you didn't like. You are referring to the start menu right? Or the lack of Aero? As I'd prefer the top of my windows to be flush with the desktop like before as well. There should be more customization options imo as well.

I believe that that is only used on the start menu, not the desktop. I know the icons use transparency on windows 10

Just to make it clear, I wasn't trying to poke fun at you. That was just the only thing I could think of that you didn't like. You are referring to the start menu right? Or the lack of Aero? As I'd prefer the top of my windows to be flush with the desktop like before as well. There should be more customization options imo as well.

Don't worry, it's just the same old crybaby crap he spouts out all the time. I'm sure he would complain if his ice cream was too cold.

More money should have gone into development smart AI, but Microsoft has come a long way. Cortana is still Beta (meaning work-in-progress or not finish it) on Windows 8.1 phone, as it clearly states.

I use always myself. I show her off when those say Android and iPhone are better nope. But in all fairness everyone going to choose what they like to use as for or PC. At least there we all do have a choice.

Now Cortana if she doesn't work on your WiFi they you know there is a problem with it. So you got a free WiFi or internet trouble-shooter there. When the internet is down she can't work, but when it up you'll know from Cortana.

So hats off to Microsoft with Cortana but if they're going full circle with this AI they really need to test everything they have planned her doing for Windows 10 customers.

Last edited:
More money should have gone into development smart AI, but Microsoft has come a long way. Cortana is still Beta (meaning work-in-progress or not finish it) on Windows 8.1 phone, as it clearly states. I use always myself. I show her off when those say Android and iPhone are better nope. But in all fairness everyone going to choose what they like to use as for or PC. At least there we all do have a choice.

Now Cortana if she doesn't work on your WiFi they you know there is a problem with it. So you got a free WiFi or internet trouble-shooter there. When the internet is down she can't work, but when it up you'll know from Cortana.

So hats off to Microsoft with Cortana but if they're going full circle with this AI they really need to test everything they have planned her doing for Windows 10 customers.
can you please edit your post so it is readable

Don't worry, it's just the same old crybaby crap he spouts out all the time. I'm sure he would complain if his ice cream was too cold.
You really should get a new hobby, other than trying to predict what I would do. I don't make comments about what I think you would do.

You really should get a new hobby, other than trying to predict what I would do. I don't make comments about what I think you would do.
No, unrelentingly you just release copious amounts of diatribe that is based less on fact and more on your own small opinion. Whilst yours may be amongst others of somewhat similar overweening opinions, your rhetoric is neither original nor representative of any kind of majority and falls more to the realm of the unconscionable. As per Techspot's weekend open forum, if Microsoft were to bring to life some form of science fiction, you would all likelihood have a problem with it. I'd even go so far as to say that if they cured cancer you would have an axe to grind with them. Ultimately, its ironic that for someone who professes to hate all that is Microsoft, has in fact, got the most to say about them on any article that has even a hint of being about them.
continued...

We can thus establish the following about your hate of Microsoft:
  1. You want the start menu (Windows 10 brings it back, get over it. It was an experiment that didn't quite pan out now stop crying)
  2. You don't like the squares (Windows 10 allows you to turn them off, I.e. remove them. For windows to function on any device including touch a larger area for tactile interface is a must)
  3. You want Aero transparency effects and shadows (Windows 10 in fact returns much of this functionality. If you cared to run the Windows 10 preview, albeit incomplete, you would see it in fact looks very nice despite the lack of full transparency effects. Functionality over aesthetics and Windows 10 has both)
  4. You want some functionality removed over the years that was deemed unneeded. (Microsoft removed DVD playback, amongst other items, due to the fact less people were using their in house developed software. It was thus deemed that they would remove it to reduce the cost of Windows and since most people made use of the vibrant 3rd party market anyway most people would be fine with it. It seems to be a case of people not knowing what they had until its gone. Microsoft provided the functionality for years but nobody used it, but now that they remove it people cry wolf. Serves you right in my opinion)
  5. You want Microsoft to stay stagnant exactly the way you like it, unchanging because if it ain't broke... (I'm surprised with an attitude like that, that you are able to walk upright and talk. If you don't try new things, especially in the tech world, you are basically dead in the water. Microsoft is a commercial company, they are not the open source community that drives free Linux. They must generate a profit and they cant please everyone so they aim for the middle knowing that some will hate it, whilst others will love it, and the majority will be ok with it)
Sorry for the wall of text, but everyone can see you really hate just for the sake of hating. I'm sure you will simply just dismiss this and we will all once again have to bare witness to your wonderfully inept opinions once more on the next Microsoft article, or you can simply do us all a favour, install Linux since its the best operating system since the dawn of the computing age and have nothing more to do with Microsoft and live happily ever after.

No, unrelentingly you just release copious amounts of diatribe that is based less on fact and more on your own small opinion.
At least you stuck to your opinion on what you think it is I do, not what you think I should do. And to be honest I don't care what you think of me. My opinion is still my opinion. My unrelentingly hatred (your words), didn't start until MS released Windows 8 garbage. I had very little dislike about Windows 7, thank you very much.

Edit:
1)I never said I wanted the Start Menu. I said time and again I didn't like the squares in the Start Screen.
2)Here we are once again with the squares, I don't want to turn the interface off, just the colors of the squares.
3)I did install the first preview version and didn't see what you are referring to.
4)No, not true. I want options not features.
5)No, not true. I want them to quit screwing with peoples head changing things when it is not necessary. Change can be added without replacing everything.

And no I'm not hating for the sake of hating. You are choosing to see me that way. I have a very constructive attitude, you are failing to see my words for what they are. And yes I can't wait to smear MS again hoping they finally get tired of reading my complaints and finally decide to be constructive as well.

Good day to you to.

Last edited:
And no I'm not hating for the sake of hating. You are choosing to see me that way. I have a very constructive attitude, you are failing to see my words for what they are. And yes I can't wait to smear MS again hoping they finally get tired of reading my complaints and finally decide to be constructive as well.
Firstly, I was perhaps a bit harsh by calling you a hater, but you never have anything good to say about Microsoft. There are things that I too dislike about them as a company and about Windows, but I can still call a spade a spade, and Windows 10 is in fact a good effort towards pleasing as many people as possible.

Secondly, when you say you want options, what then of the 3rd party market? Do they not fill in the blanks? Microsoft cant provide everyone everything, and they change with the times adding and removing things as they go. So sorry if they removed something that you use. The DVD playback thing and lack of Blueray support annoyed me, but I can understand their position on the matter. I used their in house software, many, many others didn't and now I with all those others repeat the rewards of that.

Yes, they may have changed how windows looks, but its still Windows. When I boot it up, even Windows 8, I can still do everything I could do with Windows 7, just a little bit quicker and on systems that require less resources. Its a different style, and I quite like the minimalist styling as it actually makes it look less cluttered. The colours of the squares I can agree with you on, but its not something that will stop me from using a good piece of software, and that's what Windows is and no one can deny that with any real conviction. It hits all the right points for 95% of people out there, the remaining 5% are so obsessed with having complete control of their system that Windows is too restrictive for them.

You claim to have no beef with the start screen or the squares, but rather the colours? Really, you look at that tiny aspect of the OS and you dismiss the whole? Aesthetics over functionality for you then? Interesting, very interesting as that speaks volumes about you and I'm not trying to insult you, it just gives me a small bit of insight into your personality. Windows 10 in fact makes a serious effort to bridge what was Windows 7, with what is now Windows 8. Its basically the best of both worlds mixed in. As I mentioned, you can turn off the start screen, and remove the tiles from the start menu. Yes the styling is different but is essentially the start menu of old. So what happens to your argument now? Its basically Windows 7, with a slightly different look but just more efficient. Not to mention numerous modern day additions that will not be added to Windows 7 due to its now aging kernel and bloated construction. It was a good OS for its day, and still is, but its now showing its age. It may run for many years to come for some, but eventually as was the case with windows XP people will have to admit that they will need to upgrade.

Secondly, when you say you want options, what then of the 3rd party market?
I've already third partied for most of their bloat, where do I draw the line? Besides options in applications is not the options I had in mind. Options in UI customization has always been a cut and dry one way street.
Yes, they may have changed how windows looks, but its still Windows.
Not from my point of view! Ohh look my very first intended pun.
Aesthetics over functionality for you then? Interesting, very interesting as that speaks volumes about you and I'm not trying to insult you, it just gives me a small bit of insight into your personality.
Yes there are many things I will not consider because of the way it looks. I do not believe I am a minority in this topic.
The colours of the squares I can agree with you on, but its not something that will stop me from using a good piece of software
If you tell me I can check a box turn them off and continue using the interface as it was designed, that wouldn't stop me either. But I'm not hearing anyone say this. I keep hearing people say things like "You have the option to turn Metro off in the Start Menu". I actually want to use the interface, but will stand my ground until it can be customized to my liking (no multi-colors, I'm not 5 anymore and this is not Woodstock). Please don't tell me it is not possible, I see the **** MS is capable of inside their Office product. I love their Office product, full of options. That is other than the lack of the File Menu which really never has bothered me. But then I'm not obsessed with forcing the ribbon down their throat either. If they have a problem with the ribbon and would prefer to have the option for the File Menu, I see no reason why MS doesn't give them that option. Once again this is the user interface within the app that lack an option, not options for more apps. And it is not necessarily lack of options that keep people pissed off, it is the loss of options that were unnecessarily removed.

At the very least you can set the tile color to the same color as the start menu giving the illusion of transparency.

Back