TechSpot

First ssd installation procedure ?

By LeeLuck
Dec 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi All,
    Firstly thanks for reading, I wanted to build a new system some time ago but circumstances have pretty much stopped that for now so I have decided to just update a few things in my old work horse starting with the hard drive, I have with your advice on an old thread purchased a Samsung SSD 840 along with W7 Pro 64bit. I assume I just unplug my existing drives and plug this one into sata 1 and install the OS ?? or do I, is there a procedure I need to be aware of first, I.e. bios settings etc ?
    Thanks for any advice as I am a total noob with SSD's, it came with a disk also, do I need this ?
    Cheers,
    Lee.

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

You've got it right. Just make sure to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS. :)

And don't ever defrag it haha.

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,368   +125

Instead of using the disk just go online and download Samsung's latest software for your SSD.
    Although I believe Samsung's RAPID option has only been released for 840 pro and EVO drives, it's worth checking up on.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.