Power supply - XFX Pro 450W Core Edition V1
    Cooling Fans - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler
    Motherboard - Asus P8H61-MX USB3 Socket 1155 VGA DVI 8 Channel Audio mATX
    Processor/CPU - Intel Core i5 3350P 3.10GHz Socket 1155 6MB
    Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sports 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U
    Video card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2GB GDDR5
    Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM ST1000DM003
    Disk drive - Pioneer DVR-220BK

Hi, I am a first time builder who lives in the UK and would like to build a gaming PC that is preferably with in the price range of £500 to £800. I would like to know if the products listed above are compatible and whether I should consider buying other products which are cheaper and better in terms of performance. I would also like know if this is a decent build in running most game today in the highest quality as well as how long it will last before I need to buy newer, better parts.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,105   +1,522

Everything is compatible. :)

Nice case and CPU cooler, however the CPU cooler would not really be needed if you don't over-clock. The Boxed CPU comes with an OEM CPU cooler that is fine with non-over-clock conditions.
    Are you planning on over-clocking? If so the motherboard and CPU are not really designed for over-clocking.

JC713 likes this.
  3. kensax

kensax TS Rookie Topic Starter

I dont plan to cos I dont know how to at the moment however what exactly are the advantages of overclocking and can you suggest a motherboard and CPU that suitable for overclocking?

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Advantages: 'free' boost to CPU performance! You can get a stock CPU at like 3.4GHz, with overclocking you can get 4GHz+ easily.

Disadvantages: usually need to spend more on CPU and motherboard that provides easy overclocking (Z77 mobo, K-series CPU) and cooling.

If you want a longer-lasting machine, I'd get a Z77 mobo with an i5 3570K. Ditch the CPU cooler for now, and stick with your low-medium end GPU of choice. Also get a better PSU. In 2 years or so, you'll upgrade the GPU, purchase a CPU cooler, and overclock.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

With 800 pounds, you can make a great PC. I would recommend getting a i5 4670K (made for overclocking) or a i5 3570K CPU. The 4670K uses less power but the 3570K is cheaper. If you go for the 4670K, I would recommend the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H or the Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3PH. If you go for the 3570K, I would recommend the ASUS P8Z77-LK motherboard. I would recommend the Hyper 212 Evo rather than the Plus since it is newer and has a quieter fan. Also, I would personally buy a Western Digital HDD over a Seagate since I have not had good luck with Seagate HDDs in the past. So if you go for a WD HDD, go for the WD Caviar Black. If you can fit a SSD into the budget, get the OCZ Vertex 450 or the Samsung 840 Pro (or regular version). If you want, you can upgrade the PSU to something like a Corsair TX650 or HX650. If the budget allows, you can also upgrade the 660 to a 660 Ti.

cliffordcooley likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.