Fixing agpCPQ.sys screwed up BIOS

To back up the adage that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I was having trouble booting up my XP PC and trying Safe Mode showed it was hanging at agpCPQ.sys.

I picked up on an earlier post about disabling the settings on the Advanced tab in bios. Unfortunately I inadvertently switched my screen power off and although the PC seems to boot up properly I have no way of telling because the screen is blank.

I'm guessing I need to download a new bios and get the PC to boot from that but would appreciate some guidance from you folks.

Cheers

We might be able to help more effectively if we knew more about the system that was affected.
Also... do you have a port for an external monitor?
If so, does it work?
You may also have a keyboard combination that allows you to toggle between the laptop screen and the external monitor.
Knowing what computer you have will allow us to tailor our advice to your situation.
If you have no screen display even for bios, resetting to factory defaults may be a blind process but it could be possible.

I can see how that would help.

The unit is a Packard Bell iMedia desktop PC, the mouse and keyboard are connected through usb ports and the usual external monitor through the cable thingymabob (sorry thats as technical as I get) and on start up the screen remains in standby up mode. There is no floppy disk drive to boot from if that makes any difference, just the CD/DVD drive.

Thanks in advance.

Packard Bell iMedia desktop PC
:haha:
For some reason I had thought you were dealing with a laptop :rolleyes:
So... I need a little more... Which Model is the iMedia machine? :suspiciou
Also... I am not specifically familiar with these machines:
Does yours have more than one connector for your monitor?

With the model #, I may be able to find out about your Motherboard, (as well as this other information)
and with the motherboard information determine how to reset the BIOS via jumper.
This is easier than with a laptop! <whew!>
Otherwise, we may be going blind.

I do note that you do not consider yourself "technical".
Is the machine still under warranty?
If not, would you be comfortable opening the case?
If so, do you understand the hazards of static electricity, and how to mitigate it?

Thanks for the interest B00kWyrm

There is ony one parallel port for the screen and the warranty expired long ago. Ironically it must have been monitoriing my internet surfing as I was doing some initial browsing for a potential replacement. If it wasn't for accessing and backing up the files from the last couple of months I may not have bothered.

As for opening the case, that isn't a problem as I did just that when I installed the wireless adapter a while back. Having said that I didn't appreciate the impact of static electricity and would appreciate any tips to mitgate any risks.

The PC is an iMedia 1427 Serial Number 047280820096 if that helps you in your quest against the dark side . . or should that be dark screen!

I apologize for the delay getting back to you. I have been offline the last few days.

Since reading your reply, I have been unable to find a manual for your machine.
As a result, I cannot provide as specific directions as I would prefer.

So... General Instructions...

Unplug your machine.
If necessary to move it to a place where you can work on it, unplug your keyboard etc, taking note of which plug attaches where.
Once you have removed the case cover, and before you have touched anything inside the case, make sure you have grounded yourself (to discharge any static), by touching /holding the bare metal of your case or power supply.

Hopefully, there will be enough free space between components that you can see your motherboard clearly.
You will see cables that connect to power supply, and others that connect to drives.
Some may need to be moved slightly to see better. Be careful not to disconnect them in the process.

Once you have a view of your motherboard, take a moment to get oriented.
You will see a large heatsink and fan. These are to keep your cpu cool.
You will see some slots for memory chips.
You will likely see at least one other major heat sink (for on board graphics, and/or io functions).

Somewhere on the board you will see a small flat battery, about the size of a US nickel.
This battery allows the BIOS Chip to retain its settings if they have been changed from factory defaults.
This battery is usually close to your BIOS CMOS chip.
The BIOS Chip will likely say something like Phoenix, or AMI.
Sometimes near this location you will also find pins, which when shorted, will reset your BIOS CMOS to factory defaults.
Lacking specific information on your motherboard, and unless these pins are clearly marked,
you MAY be able to accomplish the same thing, by sliding the CMOS battery out of its holder
and leaving it out for several seconds, before reinstalling it.

This USUALLY will reset your bios to factory defaults, and your mistake will be undone.

Before closing up, do a test to see if you get your video display back.
If not, let me know, and also see if you can find information about your motherboard, and we will try something else.
See if you can find any information about the maker of the board, the model number and the serial number.
These will usually NOT be the same as the number you have already given me.

If it is a proprietary Packard Bell motherboard, we may be no closer to fixing the problem.
Because what we need is a manual for it, and PB does not have a friendly site.

Again, my apologies for the delay. I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Glad it worked for you.
I was worried that a proprietary board might give us fits.
Thanks for letting us know your results.:grinthumb

boot freeze on Acer Aspire One Netbook (fix)

hi.
i've been investigating the same (or similar) problem on a friend's netbook
i've read many other threads with similar problem, but many of them are now closed, hence my posting here.

won't boot even in Safe Mode, it stops after displaying the line ending agpCPQ.sys

the machine i'm looking at is an Acer Aspire One (precise model unknown)
the bios options are very limited on this beast, but i managed to get past the problem eventually..

before anything else, i ran a disk surface scan tool from a linux-based system rescue cd (booted from external USB DVD device) -- that said all was ok.

1. F2 at boot (to enter BIOS settings)
  2. set the "SATA Access Mode" to "IDE" (it was AHCI)
  3. F10 (to Exit with changes) then Enter (with Yes highlighted!)
  4. F8 during boot (to get windows boot menu)
  5. select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
  6. wait a while.. windows may need to reinstall drivers for motherboard, etc.
  7. CHKDSK /R /X #this will want to run at reboot, say yes
  8. SHUTDOWN -R #to do a clean shutdown/reboot (may take a while)
  9. wait a while.. chkdsk will try to fix any errors; time depends mainly on disk size
  10. shutdown again (via start menu if possible)
  11. continue with any other updates/installs/security scans...

CHKDSK found a few discrepancies that it fixed up ok, and that pretty much sorted it for me.

as an aside, the mcaffee subscription on the machine expired long ago, so it was no surprise to find a load of adware and a few trojans -- i installed and ran malwarebytes' anti-malware scanner, full scan.
i also did a windows update, just in case.

hope this helps anyone with a similar problem!

NEED HELP agpcpq.sys hang

hi i recently got an KX7 333 motherboard. and when i put my hardrive in with windows xp already installed it crashes. and if i try to boot in safe mode it stops on AGPCPQ.SYS

can someone please help with this error thank you

Back