Flash Drive Acting Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here's my problem: I want to put a video file in my flash drive but its not letting me. It gives me some lame excuses. I'll post the screenshots after a few more posts. Anyway, its a Dane Elec 2 GB flash drive and i use windows xp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the time here is how my little properties graph usually looks like:

fasdfasdfdsf.jpg

After i try pasting something in anyway, i usually get this message:

fasdfasdfdsf-1.jpg

k i'm in the process of dling it now. I'll update this post when i'm finished.

Just posting this so you don't think i'm not responding.

Update: Here's what comes up afterwards. I thought i was suppose to have 2 gigs? Anyway, what do i select FAT or NTFS

fasdfasdfdsf-2.jpg

Ok so you have visited your m/b support page and downloaded all drivers and installed them.

Also device manager is in System in control panel
Once in there look under hardware tab.

You may already know that, so I must go (be back later)

um i don't think i know that. What i meant when i said that i updated the driver, is that i clicked properties from my computer and then followed through until it gave me options like updating driver, roll back etc..

Anyway, here's where im at when i did what you said:

fasdfasdfdsf-4.jpg

Actually the updating all drivers part

What are the System Specs of this computer

What is the make and model number of your computer

What operating system are you using (Xp Sp2 32 bit ?)

It would be ideal not to just paste or write all this info here, But to just add this information to your PROFILE, which makes it easier for support to confirm driver links so forth.

Are you able to do that?

ok i put all the information on my profile. Sorry i took so long, i gave the drive to my networking teacher and he formatted it on his comp (i wasn't there) and then said it worked fine. He said he even put in files and took them back out to check. When i told him what was happening he said he thinks i probably have a virus or something on my computer that isn't allowing me to save things on the drive. I mean just for the record, i have saved things on it in the past.

Oh and another message that usually comes up that i didn't include was: "Cannot copy, the parameter is incorrect. " If i don't get that message then i get the post 1 message at the bottom and afterwards if i check the properties of the drive after one of the 2 comments occurs, i get that showing.

Your Mem 288Meg (?) looks a little low for Windows XpSP2
The concern is, that if you consistantly run high (even low) memory usuage programs (ie Antivirus and millions of others) that in turn your computer's PageFile will be more and more accessed, which puts a big strain on your HardDrive (and all its filesystem)

I would suggest to upgrade your Ram (if you think it's worth it) and run a few tests on the HardDrive
You will need to confirm your HardDrive make (reading the cover) and then download the HardDrive diagnostic utility.
Here's a few: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

soo i can't fix this problem without upgrading my RAM? I'm getting a new computer in about another month and then this one will only be used by my parents (who don't use this much). I wouldn't say its worth it. The whole reason i got a flash drive in the first place was so that i can put videos from my computer into my ps3. When i get my computer i'll hook it up to my tv so then it won't matter anyway.

Anyway, i guess if this is it then thanks.

RAM is not the issue!

It appears that the flash drive was once upon a time partitoned and formatted.
Use cp-> Admin Tools -> Disk Manager to verify a healthy partition -- it should be
formatted as FAT32.

If it's NFTS, then you will have permission issues on every system to which it is attached.

XP seems to treat USB devices rather poorly whereas Mac OS X and Linux do not
run into these issues.

its formatted as FAT32, i always make sure i format it on that, and matter of fact it only works on that. Anyway, here's my most recent screenshot that i think is the most accurate as to what the problem may be:

asdfsdfsdfsdf.jpg

how do i correct ^

Can you format (Yes Fat32 - covered) the USB drive on another computer
Basically these drives can fail - and never work again

Confirming from another computer will take your computer out of the equation

Delay write error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174 says
CAUSE
This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
• The "Enable write caching on the disk" feature for your disk is turned on.
• Your Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller is configured in either of the following ways:
• You are using a 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
• The BIOS settings are configured to force faster UDMA modes.​
but this is NOT USB related

this looks hopeful
http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid1_gci1041334,00.html

select Optimize for quick removal

kimsland said:
Can you format (Yes Fat32 - covered) the USB drive on another computer
Basically these drives can fail - and never work again

Confirming from another computer will take your computer out of the equation

its my computers fault, when i gave it to my networking teacher he said it worked fine on his room computer. At first it wasn't letting me format it on this computer and he managed to format it on his. Now as of recently, its been working except for that delayed write thing which isn't allowing me to save files onto it.

EDIT: Joebeard, i used one of the links and followed through with the step that told me to uncheck the enabling write caching on both of my hardrives and i switched my flash drive to the quick thing as opposed to the improved performance one and at the moment it seems to be working. Hopefully it'll continue to. Kim and joe thanks for all of your help. If things don't work out i'll resort back to this thread.

EDIT x2: Ok after the first video file worked, i tried to take advantage by adding a second and then i got the whole "The parameter is incorrect" + delayed writing combo..maybe i just need to fiddle around with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back