Flash Sales Is the Way: GPU July Pricing Update

I grabbed a Pulse 7900 XTX for 899 and 2 free games.

Suck it, ngreedia.
only downside is drivers; my 7900XT cannot run newer Combat Mission games at all due to their screwing up the drivers; also while forcing vsync /fps cap works for all non hardlocked games on the nvidia side; I've run into a few on the AMD side that simply will not run unlocked with AMD (STALKER SoC for one); though this affects not only my 7900XT; my Vega 64 and R9 Fury have the same issue. Was able to replicate the aforementioned problems on 4 different PCs (i9 10920X,i7 10700KF, i7 6850K, i7 920).

only downside is drivers; my 7900XT cannot run newer Combat Mission games at all due to their screwing up the drivers; also while forcing vsync /fps cap works for all non hardlocked games on the nvidia side; I've run into a few on the AMD side that simply will not run unlocked with AMD (STALKER SoC for one); though this affects not only my 7900XT; my Vega 64 and R9 Fury have the same issue. Was able to replicate the aforementioned problems on 4 different PCs (i9 10920X,i7 10700KF, i7 6850K, i7 920).

Basically you're saying that since few games don't work on AMD drivers but work with Nvidia drivers, there must be something wrong on AMD drivers.

Too bad, large majority of games work with AMD drivers, so of course, there is nothing wrong on game itself ...

Hey @staff since you deployed new security measures for this site some strange things are happening.

When I try to comment on an article the page is absolute white and it hangs like this after I hit submit.
Looks to me that regular comment form is affected. The Forum mode works fine.
I still think an RTX 3080 for less than $500 is kind of hot. Will let you play everything at near max settings for the foreseeable future.

Basically you're saying that since few games don't work on AMD drivers but work with Nvidia drivers, there must be something wrong on AMD drivers.

Too bad, large majority of games work with AMD drivers, so of course, there is nothing wrong on game itself ...
I'm saying Nvidia drivers are more reliable/compatible. I have both Nvidia and AMD cards. AMD drivers seem more limited comparatively speaking when it comes to overall compatibility and working driver features like Anisotropic Filtering (forcing 16xAF in older games like Opera Flashpoint or TES IV: Oblivion does not work for AMD drivers bu DOES work Nvidia drivers) and removing vsync in some titles is the same boat. Finally I have not run into any game series that does not work on past year's worth of Nvidia drivers while AMD cannot say the same with CM series...and still have done nothing to fix it.

Now back to current topic
GPU Flash Sales FTW! This author is on crack or what? Should we all fall for GPU/board makers trap and buy with only a few dollars discount? Big NO mate let them choke on inventory. Buying this way establish a precedent again. Nvidia and AMD wont loose too much because they sell the chips and a few cards.
The big loss is for the AIB's and sometimes the end of supply chain.

P.S. @neeyik the issue when posting from article direct is still there.

I'm saying Nvidia drivers are more reliable/compatible. I have both Nvidia and AMD cards. AMD drivers seem more limited comparatively speaking when it comes to overall compatibility and working driver features like Anisotropic Filtering (forcing 16xAF in older games like Opera Flashpoint or TES IV: Oblivion does not work for AMD drivers bu DOES work Nvidia drivers) and removing vsync in some titles is the same boat. Finally I have not run into any game series that does not work on past year's worth of Nvidia drivers while AMD cannot say the same with CM series...and still have done nothing to fix it.

Your "more reliable/compatible" claim is based on few games out of millions?

Opera Flashpoint is predecessor for Arma games that are known to be technically trash. Also last game came out 12 years ago. Oblivion is Bethesda's creation and all Elder Scrolls series games are known to be ultra buggy.

Why should AMD "fix" decade old games? I give you example how this works: There are still software used that require Internet Explorer 6. No, that software won't work with any other browser, it requires Internet Explorer 6. OK, now. Why does not any browser support that software? Not even Microsoft's own Edge or newer Internet Explorers work with that? Why does not anyone "fix" their browser to run that software?

Now, either Internet Explorer 6 is best browser ever or and all newer browsers suck. And everyone that make newer browsers are stupid because they don't make their browser to support that software. OR software that supports IE6 only is simply trash from beginning and there is nothing wrong or anything to fix on newer browsers.

For game software, it's known fact that many coders do tricks that (might) work well with certain hardware/software combo but not with others. Perhaps best example is Commodore Amiga. Commodore provided instructions about how to code games in way that they work on future Amiga computers too. Needless to say, many games didn't work because there instructions were not taken seriously.

For this AMD driver "fix", there is probably nothing wrong with AMD drivers. Game developers just used some "outside of book" tricks that work if some random number generator decides so. And perhaps Nvidia drivers match this random number. Since both games you mentioned are known to be very buggy series games, almost certainly fault is buggy game and not driver. And so, there is nothing to fix on driver side.

I currently have a 3090 TI, (bought in the middle of Covid and Bitcoin debacles, for which I paid WAY too much....) and will wait for the 5 series nVidia cards. Given the issues with the 4090's power plugs, I will look very closely at the five series to see if anything was learned.

Greed now seems to be running amok, everyone wanting to be the next billionaire without making the mental effort to do so. So, 'gouge thy neighbor' is now the new golden rule.

Sad how little attempt AMD have made to compete during this terrible generation from nVidia. If they can't do well now they never will.

Sad how little attempt AMD have made to compete during this terrible generation from nVidia. If they can't do well now they never will.
Lol, tell me you've only been PC gaming for less than 10 years, without telling me you've only been PC gaming for less than 10 years.

Now back to current topic
GPU Flash Sales FTW! This author is on crack or what? Should we all fall for GPU/board makers trap and buy with only a few dollars discount? Big NO mate let them choke on inventory. Buying this way establish a precedent again. Nvidia and AMD wont loose too much because they sell the chips and a few cards.
The big loss is for the AIB's and sometimes the end of supply chain.

P.S. @neeyik the issue when posting from article direct is still there.
That is going on already. I mean used card market has never been bigger.
They are lucky though. First crypto boom, then AI. We are screwed.

That is going on already. I mean used card market has never been bigger.
They are lucky though. First crypto boom, then AI. We are screwed.
Used market plus new GPU lineup prices is killing them, slowly but steady.
NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal 2023
"Gaming

• Second-quarter revenue was $2.04 billion, down 33% from a year ago and down 44% from the previous quarter."

But the AI/Datacenter is keeping them floating for now.
"Data Center

• Second-quarter revenue was $3.81 billion, up 61% from a year ago and up 1% from the previous quarter."

I trust my gut about the AI market. After all it's the new "blockchain". It's just a trend and like any other it will show big demand at first then it will implode.

Let's hope that China figures out how to make an ASIC for AI like they did with Bitcoin.

Back