flashed bios, win won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundewzer

When I flashed my bios to update it and restarted my computer Win. XP wouldn't boot or recognize the SATA hard drive. I no longer have the SATA drivers on a floppy disk and even worse I no longer have a floppy drive. :confused: I am not sure where Win. XP saves the drivers for SATA hard drives(the ones you have to press F6 to install XP), but I think flashing the bios has deleted, moved, or did something to them. My only other thought was flashing the bios does something to the MBR (I am not sure if it does). If this is the case, could Lilo or any other MBR controller be used to fix the problem? Is there a way to add the SATA drivers to the MBR? The motherboard recognizes the harddrive.

Please help I need catch up to my friend in WOW and I only have two days until he gets his new hard driver! :hotbounce

Any comment are much appreciated.

Change boot

In your bios under boot priority ( look a bit you will find it ) make sure that the bios did not reset your boot device to HDD-0. It should be set on SATA-O or 1 or possibly RAID depending on your bios version. I am almost positive that is your problem.

old man

The other guy most like has it right, assuming you can boot up at all. But if you boot up to the bios screen then definitely all your bios settings have been reset to default due to the bios flashing. A sata hard drive will not be recognized like an ide drive will be, but you have to enable sata raid and make sure that onboard ide drivers are set to sata/raid enabled.

About your floppy make sure that in the bios that your floppy is set up correctly on the standard bios settings, tab down to the drive a tab and click on hit enter and make sure you have chosen the correct floppy drive, probably 1.4mb 3.5inch drive.

I forget all the correct headings in the bios, and they all vary. and BTW, you can download the sata drivers from the mobo's manufaturers website.
But make sure that you set up the boot priority the way you want it.

If you can't boot at all then you may have had reboot in the middle of flashing or flashed the wrong or corrupted stuff, and now your bios chip will have to be replaced or reprogrammed. Replacement is cheap, about 8 bucks plus shipping, fyi, and the process can be done with a good small screw driver and a little care.

Luck

Thanks you were right. I actual hadn't touch my computer in a couple days, came and turned it on, the bios went through normaly and then said overclocking didn't work, so I went in and checked everything and it had the first hdd set and the ide and sata as the second. After I changed it and restarted windows jumped right up. Once again thanks for the help. To bad I didn't check that earlier. *******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back