Flipboard acquires rival news aggregator Zite from CNN

By Shawn Knight
Mar 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. News reading platform Flipboard has purchased rival service Zite according to blog posts from both camps. Zite was owned by CNN and as such, content from the 24/7 news network will now appear on Flipboard - redesigned especially for mobile audiences.

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

I've only tried FlipBoard a couple times, but I always found it to be a very cumbersome experience.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,797   +702

Yeah I checked it out as well but was far from impressed so I just disabled it on my phone.
  4. Flipboard is saying they are adding 250,000 users a day.
    Question what proportion of those users are been roped in due to Flipboard paying Smartphone OEM's to bake Flipboard into their UI's.

I recently bought a Note 3. Flipboard is so baked into the UI, you cannot even disable it. Because they are trying to force everyone to use their service, I will be uninstalling Zite.

It is a case of if you can't out shine someone, buy them out; ala Facebook and WhatsApp.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.