Floppy Disk Problems Here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobi101

hi.. my floppy disk drive cant write on a diskette.. it always says "diskette is write-protected" eventhough the diskete is already in write enable.. do u know how i can fix it?? thanx..

Are you sure the write enable tab is not missing or msiplaced on the floppy? If it says the same for any floppy, then your drive is defective and should be replaced.

Could be the floppy controller too in which case you need to get an ISA floppy controller (if your mobo has any ISA slots) or a SCSI controller with a FDC on it..

And to rule out any OS malfunction, you should try writing to a floppy from DOS or CD Linux.

The best solution is often the cheapest :) Make sure that when you insert the disk the drive is fully engaging it..you should hear a click of sorts...if that doesnt work then open the computer and make sure the cables going to the drive are fully inserted. If still no go, then its probably a bad drive. New floppy drives are cheap.

Is this a new disk or a disk which previously worked?

If it's a new disk then try a different brand as you Floppy drive may just not like that brand.
I had an old p1 whose floppy drive refused to read Verbatim disks, but read Dysan without any problems.

nope.. ive used the floppy disk alot of times before.. but i cant seem to write on any disk i use.. maybe i should try getting a new one.. thanx!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back