For those with a Geforce 6800

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarvis

Hi all,

I recently bought a Geforce 6800 to hold me over until I graduate from school and can afford some better hardware. Anyways, I had some trouble with artifacts when I unlocked the card to 16x1, 6vp. I've been reading all over the net about how people are unlocking their cards with no problems to have the pipelines of a 6800GT and I was slightly jealous and angry that I couldn't experience the same performance gains.

Well I can now unlock the 16x1, 6vp pipelines without any artifacts what so ever. If you want to unlock your card for better performance but are finding artifacts in your games then I have something for you to try. It may be a little extreme but it worked for me and I cannot garauntee it will work for you.

My system specs:

Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
XFX Geforce 6800 128mb
40gig
1gig DDR 333
Asus A7V8X-X
WinXP Home SP2

Here is what I did in order:

1) Backed up all your important files.

2) Format your HD.

3) Download and Install SP2 and DirectX 9.0c (June)

4) Install updated 78.02 nvidia driver.

5) Install all updated Sound/MOBO/BIOS drivers.

5) Install RivaTuner

6) Follow these instructions on how to unlock pipelines. Unlock!

7) Enjoy noticeable performance gains. :)

Now this may or may not work for you, but it worked for me and I was getting artifacts even if I unlocked only the vertex pipelines. Maybe you could mix it up a little and just reinstall Windows or DirectX. The choice is yours.

err, Isn't it true that you can't unlock a PCI-E 6800 because it's on different architecture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back