Formatted C: - old installation of XP still apparant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

Formatted a machine at work because of hal.dll error and reinstalled windows - everything is ok now as it's working but when booting it asks me which windows I want to boot from, the new one which I've just installed or the previous one which still contains the hal.dll error.

I can't understand this because the format completed 100% and took a long time as well.

How do I get rid of it?
What did I do wrong?
Is this detrimental to the running of the computer?

I'll answer your questions in reverse
Is this detrimental to the running of the computer? = NO
What did I do wrong? = NO IDEA
If you have more than one drive, you have possibly installed OS on another drive
Did you delete partition and create a new drive from RAW format or the originial boot.ini file is still going to be present.
How do I get rid of it?

There's a hidden file in the root of your boot drive that not many people know about, called "boot.ini". It controls what happens at boot time. In the past the thing to do was to edit this file manually, but that's no longer necessary.

Right click on My Computer, and select Properties. Now click on the Advanced tab. In a section labeled Startup and Recovery click on the button labeled Settings. You should now be looking at a dialog: refer attached

Click on Edit to edit the startup options file (aka boot.ini) manually. That should open Notepad with something similar to the following from my machine:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

In this example, you can see that I have two options to choose from when I boot: Windows XP, and the Recovery Console. I'm guessing you have an additional line for theOS Setup that you had trouble with it. You can simply delete that line.

And if you're tired of having the computer wait 30 seconds for you to choose an operating system, you can also change the timeout value,

Save that file, and when you next reboot you should no longer have that additional option.

Attachments

• bootoptions.png
    bootoptions.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 2
Thanks a bunch - I was just stumped by this, never seen it before.

I was thinking about doing this actually but thought I'd wait for someone more knowledgable, is it a case of more than one way to skin a cat?

start
run
msconfig
boot.ini tab
check all boot paths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back