Formatting 2nd Hard Disk (Ubuntu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I have just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a secondary system so that I can start learning the OS. The system contains 2 IDE hard disks and the Linux distribution is installed one the smaller, 10GB (primary) disk. I created a partition on the second 40GB disk but did not format it. So now, Ubuntu is installed but the second hard disk doesn't appear in the Computer place. All I see is the "Filesystem" disk, the floppy drive, and the two optical drives. How do I configure/format the secondary disk so that I can put files on it? Is there some kind of program within this distribution that I can use?? Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

be more specific.

1- sounds like you have a dual boot, windows + Ubuntu. Is this true?

2- put files on it -- booted from which OS and target disk is Windows or Ubuntu ?

The system I have installed the Linux distribution on is NOT a dual-boot, sorry to confuse you; Ubuntu is the only OS that is currently installed. There is a 10gig and a 40gig hard drive in the system I am running this version of Linux on. After the OS was installed, the secondary drive (the 40gig) was not present in the Places > Computer screen. I just wanted to know how to format the 40gig disk so that I can put files on it from within Ubuntu. Since the disk that holds the OS is small (10GB), I need a secondary drive to hold all my stuff. Basically, that's all I'm trying to do. There is already a partition created on the 40gig disk I just need to configure it for file usage.

Alright I tried the "sudo apt-get install gparted" thing in the terminal and it said that it wasn't available, has been obsoleted etc... I guess I'm just going to have to find another partitioning tool. I don't know what this version of Ubuntu used to set up the partitions during initial setup but I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

[UPDATE]: I downloaded the GParted live CD .iso and burned it do a disk. I was able to successfully format the 40gig secondary disk using the CD and now I can put files on it. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back