TechSpot

Formatting 2nd Hard Disk (Ubuntu)

By EXCellR8
May 22, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a secondary system so that I can start learning the OS. The system contains 2 IDE hard disks and the Linux distribution is installed one the smaller, 10GB (primary) disk. I created a partition on the second 40GB disk but did not format it. So now, Ubuntu is installed but the second hard disk doesn't appear in the Computer place. All I see is the "Filesystem" disk, the floppy drive, and the two optical drives. How do I configure/format the secondary disk so that I can put files on it? Is there some kind of program within this distribution that I can use?? Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,405   +314

be more specific.

1- sounds like you have a dual boot, windows + Ubuntu. Is this true?

2- put files on it -- booted from which OS and target disk is Windows or Ubuntu ?
  3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

The system I have installed the Linux distribution on is NOT a dual-boot, sorry to confuse you; Ubuntu is the only OS that is currently installed. There is a 10gig and a 40gig hard drive in the system I am running this version of Linux on. After the OS was installed, the secondary drive (the 40gig) was not present in the Places > Computer screen. I just wanted to know how to format the 40gig disk so that I can put files on it from within Ubuntu. Since the disk that holds the OS is small (10GB), I need a secondary drive to hold all my stuff. Basically, that's all I'm trying to do. There is already a partition created on the 40gig disk I just need to configure it for file usage.
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

Alright I tried the "sudo apt-get install gparted" thing in the terminal and it said that it wasn't available, has been obsoleted etc... I guess I'm just going to have to find another partitioning tool. I don't know what this version of Ubuntu used to set up the partitions during initial setup but I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

[UPDATE]: I downloaded the GParted live CD .iso and burned it do a disk. I was able to successfully format the 40gig secondary disk using the CD and now I can put files on it. Thanks for the help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.