Formatting Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need help with my computer. I have tried to format it before (about 1 1/2 years ago) and it ended with it not being able to do anything at all .. heh .. I need to format Windows XP Pro and I have no idea how to do it or where to start. Please help!

Make sure you have the driver for your modem or eithernet card (depending on your connection type) BEFORE you start. Any other drivers you may need can be found on the web after you establish a connection.

Insert your Operating System CD into the drive. Restart your system. Go into the BIOS and make sure "boot from CD" is turned on. Save and exit BIOS. When prompted select "Boot with CD-ROM support". At the a:\ prompt change to the drive letter of the drive your OS CD is in. (eg. D:\) When the prompt changes to the correct drive letter type in "fdisk" and hit enter. After fdisk loads "delete primary DOS partition" confirming when asked along the way. After the partition is deleted you'll need to "create a primary DOS partition". Once this is done hit ctrl/alt/del to restart and "boot from CD-ROM" when prompted. You want to format your primary drive when asked and then let the OS installer guide you the rest of the way through.

You dont have to use FDISK at all just try using some other partitions programs.I tried Partition Magic and by God it is so fine and awesome that it partitoned and formatted my 80GB in just few secs and that's it...
If you've been using the FDISK command on 80GB hd then i think it would take 20-30 mins to format and partition.

What specs do you have? HD, HD size (% used), number of drives, why do you need to format (purpose)... fill us in a bit.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back