Found: Jimmy Kimmel pitches iPad mini as new iPhone, see what people said

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple unveiled two new iPhones yesterday at a special media event in Cupertino yet as it turns out, not many people outside of tech enthusiast circles were aware of this. As we all know, the new handsets won’t be available to the general public until next week but that didn’t stop late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel from having a bit of fun with the announcement on Hollywood Boulevard.

You see, Kimmel sent an interviewer out on the streets with an iPad mini and told people it was the brand new iPhone to gauge their reactions. As it turns out, people are pretty much clueless and will say anything to get on television… assuming of course those interviewed aren’t paid actors. It’s something we wouldn’t put past Kimmel after he recently revealed he was the person behind the “girl on fire” YouTube twerking video.

Permalink to story.

I'd find it funnier if they gave people another phone entirely.

Such as a Moto PEBL. Damn, I miss the flip action on that D:

Fairly certain that those people were fed something along the lines of "give this a positive promo into the camera" and you can keep it/we'll pay you $50.

Just shows you how strong Apple's Kool aid is. They don't have to innovate at all anymore, just launch massive marketing campaigns and bathe in the money. As far as the average Joe is concerned, newer models will always be "faster, slicker, better".

Staged. No one said anything about the massive size, and people actually said it was lighter than the current iPhone.

That twerk video is fake as hell Stevie Wonder seen it and he's been laughing at us ever since. Kimmel just happens to burst in with fire extinguisher already in hand. If he peeked in then came in with it, then it would be almost believable. Jay Leno's "new" iPhone gag was much better than this. How are Kimmel and Fallon still on the air anyway?

Hopefully fake, if not I have little hope for the sheeple who populate the planet these days.

This sort of thing is good for a laugh, but always kinda annoys me. I always wonder how many people they have to go through before they find the ones who fall for it. I work with a guy who's 62 with a PhD and I can guarantee he has no idea and cares even less what the new iPhone looks like. He would totally fall for this.

Other people tend to not want to call someone (especially a celebrity) a liar into a camera unless they are 100% sure, therefore there are probably plenty of people who just believe him because it's rude not too.

And this is a smartphone... not questions like 'why country is the US thinking about attacking right now' You know, real important stuff. Knowing what new phone is coming out isn't important...we shouldn't rip on people for not knowing about it.

Damn wtf was that Geordi la forge at the end :D, and in the same scene did any one notice the guy in the wheel chair ... moving himself along with his legs WTF

Back