FPS increase possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this problem that I play an online game, called Tibia. All of my friends have the same connection speed as me, 512 kb/s aADSL. Although I have the "best" cpu iamong us, I am the only one with about 20-30 FPS when I play, when the others are having about 50-90 FPS. How is this possible?
I have a compaq Presario Pentium 4 3,00 GHz with 512 MB RAM. I use Windows XP HE version 2002 with service pack 2.
I use a 128 MB Radeon 9800 AGP (0*4E48), 128 MB, Internal DAC(400MHz) videocard. And my screen is set on 100 Hz.
Do you know what I should do to increase my FPS?
Please help me! ;)

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

What settings are you using in the game and what settings are you using in the control panel/CatalystControlCenter (CCC)?

If you are using much higher settings than your friends, that could explain it.

I'm not a gamer, but I do want to know what FPS is. Is it 'Frames Per Second'? the standard frames per second for video is 29.97.
Thanks

You are correct TBA about the standard fps for NTSC video, but when it comes to gaming it's a whole different ballgame. I almost refuse to play anything below 60 - and I'll sometimes drop my quality settings just to give the game a smoother feel. In third person games the fps usually isn't that big an issue - but anything you see from first person will be obvious below 60 and painful below 30.

Try disabling Vsync, or if Vysnc is enabled then enable Triple Buffering if the game supports it.
& yep, FPS = Frames Per Second. What they use for video is irrelevent for comparing with the average FPS in a game though.

Thanks for explaining the definition to me. I can understand the need for a greater than video FPS. It also explains why serious gamers have the fastest machines too.

You might try downloading the omega drivers instead of the catalyst drivers if that is what you are using. I did download and install on a radeon 9100 and noticed a 60 point increase in 3dmark 2001. Not huge, but, an increase none the less. Hopes this helps a little. I had to re-install 3dmark after I installed the driver. You might not have to unless the program doesn't load and start correctly.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Also try some of the tweak guides from this site they will help.

https://www.techspot.com/guides.shtml

Try looking for a tweak website for this game, I play Moorowind and found a good .ini file tweak. I had the same problem with fps and smoothness, your hardrive and processor may be the prob too.

Evil
:darth:

MrGaribaldi said:
:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

What settings are you using in the game and what settings are you using in the control panel/CatalystControlCenter (CCC)?

If you are using much higher settings than your friends, that could explain it.

I use the same settings as my friends, both contol panel and the game graphic settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back