TechSpot

FPS increase possible?

By nodde
Nov 18, 2004
  1. I have this problem that I play an online game, called Tibia. All of my friends have the same connection speed as me, 512 kb/s aADSL. Although I have the "best" cpu iamong us, I am the only one with about 20-30 FPS when I play, when the others are having about 50-90 FPS. How is this possible?
    I have a compaq Presario Pentium 4 3,00 GHz with 512 MB RAM. I use Windows XP HE version 2002 with service pack 2.
    I use a 128 MB Radeon 9800 AGP (0*4E48), 128 MB, Internal DAC(400MHz) videocard. And my screen is set on 100 Hz.
    Do you know what I should do to increase my FPS?
    Please help me! ;)

2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

What settings are you using in the game and what settings are you using in the control panel/CatalystControlCenter (CCC)?

If you are using much higher settings than your friends, that could explain it.

3. The Best Alias

The Best Alias TS Rookie Posts: 113

I'm not a gamer, but I do want to know what FPS is. Is it 'Frames Per Second'? the standard frames per second for video is 29.97.
    Thanks

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

You are correct TBA about the standard fps for NTSC video, but when it comes to gaming it's a whole different ballgame. I almost refuse to play anything below 60 - and I'll sometimes drop my quality settings just to give the game a smoother feel. In third person games the fps usually isn't that big an issue - but anything you see from first person will be obvious below 60 and painful below 30.

5. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,319

Try disabling Vsync, or if Vysnc is enabled then enable Triple Buffering if the game supports it.
    & yep, FPS = Frames Per Second. What they use for video is irrelevent for comparing with the average FPS in a game though.

6. The Best Alias

The Best Alias TS Rookie Posts: 113

Thanks for explaining the definition to me. I can understand the need for a greater than video FPS. It also explains why serious gamers have the fastest machines too.

7. ShannanCarlock

ShannanCarlock TS Rookie Posts: 31

You might try downloading the omega drivers instead of the catalyst drivers if that is what you are using. I did download and install on a radeon 9100 and noticed a 60 point increase in 3dmark 2001. Not huge, but, an increase none the less. Hopes this helps a little. I had to re-install 3dmark after I installed the driver. You might not have to unless the program doesn't load and start correctly.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Also try some of the tweak guides from this site they will help.

http://www.techspot.com/guides.shtml

8. EvilFallenAngel

EvilFallenAngel TS Rookie

Try looking for a tweak website for this game, I play Moorowind and found a good .ini file tweak. I had the same problem with fps and smoothness, your hardrive and processor may be the prob too.

Evil
    :darth:

9. nodde

nodde TS Rookie Topic Starter

I use the same settings as my friends, both contol panel and the game graphic settings.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.