Fps Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I am currently having an FPS issue while I am playing World of Warcraft. My fps is at 7. It wasnt this low until I recently took my computer to a store and had the memory upgraded from 2 256 to 1 512 and 1 256. I would appreciate any info yall could give me about fixing this issue. Here is a discription of my PC.
Dell Dimension DIM3000
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2.80GHz
768MB of RAM (1 512 1 256)
Display Device: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Display memory: 64

Thanks again. Can reach me here or at SparkDB@alltel.net.

Frank J. Troglauer

first off, do yourself a favor and do not post your email address here, or on other public webpage for that matter. we want people's problems to be resolved on the threads so that readers can learn from them.

before said upgrade your ram was (or could have been at least) running in a faster dual-channel configuration. mixing two sticks of unequal sizes ensures that you will not be able to run your ram in the faster dual channel configuration. you need to doenload and run cpu-z to check what speed your ddr ram is running at, and at what timings. i've often come across machines that were maintenanced and then susupiciously lost perofrmance, only to have me discover that the guy doing the work has stolen parts or replaced fast ram with slower modules.

Thanks. I will try that program. I am actually posting on this forum for a friend. He recently took his computer to a store and told them to upgrade the ram. I considered that because of the DIMM that the memory might be causing an issue due to unequal sizes, but I wasnt positive. I assumed that the people he hired to install the memory would be smart enough to know not to do that. Anyways I will check out the software and let yall know. Thanks again!

Yup.. as you can see from your included link:
"RAM Type : DDR-SDRAM Single Channel"

By using unequal memories, you are no longer running in dual-channel mode.

I'd recommend returning the PC and seeing if they can add 2x512 for 1gig, and ensure they put the memory into the proper slots to enable dual-channel.

If you don't trust this source any more (and I wouldn't), just hit NewEgg and look for a pair of DDR memories (they sell 1gig/2x512mb dual-channel kits for $110-$150) and install them yourself. They just snap in.. very simple procedure once the case is off.

you could do a chekc by running wow with the 256MB stick out, and see if that improves your performance. in that case, you'll want to get another DDR400 512MB stick. your chipset supports dual-channel ddr, but you have an oem build so you'll need to doublecheck.

Having just the 512mb alone wont help, zep. Intel Dual Channel requires memory sticks in pairs. It's not like DualDDR on AMD's.

it (dual-channel memory) wasn't ever working in the first place, because he had two DIMMs of unequal sizes (256/512).

zephead said:
it (dual-channel memory) wasn't ever working in the first place, because he had two DIMMs of unequal sizes (256/512).
It came stock with dual-channel, from his initial post:

"had the memory upgraded from 2 256 to 1 512 and 1 256."
It had 2x256 (Dual Channel - 512mb) ... Upgraded to 1x256 + 1x512 (Single-Channel - 768mb).

if you want dual channel then why did you mess with it in the first place? whatever performance you might have gained by upping the size to 768MB was lost by the single-channel interface, and then some. you were better off keeping the machine the way it came.

i say just get the extra DDR400 512MB stick ($50 USD tops), so you'll have 1GB of dual channel ram. consider the extra 256MB stick as a souvenir from your learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back