FPS Limit? Is it possible?

By dfolsom77
Feb 20, 2007
  1. I was just wondering if it is possible for a game to have a limit on the FPS you can achieve in game?

The reason I ask is I recently built my first comp. After a little overclocking I managed to get the 5th highest score for comparible rigs on
    3DMARK06 a little over 5000.

The only game I play at the moment is SWG. The max FPS i can get in this game seems to be 30.

Any insight would be helpful.
    Thank you in advance

By the way my comp specs are in my profile. I have an emachine that runs the game at the same FPS as my comp.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You perhaps cannot expect more with the budget & home eMachine due to motherboard limits and power supply limits.
  3. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Sounds like you have V-Sync enabled for a Direct3D game. D3D doesn't support triple buffering, so if your refresh rate is 60Hz (most LCDs) and you can't maintain a minimum of 60FPS then your framerate will be cut in half - i.e. your max FPS will be 30.

So, you can either disable V-Sync, or if you don't like the tearing you can download RivaTuner, which comes with a program called D3DOverrider which enables triple buffering for D3D games.
  4. dfolsom77

dfolsom77 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 29

hmm I will try that tonight. Need to do my research on Riva Tuner. Thanks for the info.
  5. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

I didn't understand that :eek:
    I normally have V-Sync enabled, and BF2 for example never runs at a constant 60 FPS. It hovers around 40-60 FPS. And my refresh rate is always set to 60 Hz (LCD monitor)...

The why it never runs at 30 FPS?
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

It depends on the game.

Many 3D engines used in games have support for maximum rendered frames per second.

I keep vsync enabled, and limit games to 25 - 60 fps if possible (depending on the game genre).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.