FPS Troubles While Playing World Of Warcraft

Cleavelund

Hi I have not long updated my computer and I was on a bit of a budget I done a ATX build and I bought:

MSI - Z87-G43 GAMING (MS-7816) mother board
Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4340 CPU @ 3.60GHz
12GB Corsair Vengeance Blue DDR3 1600 MHZ ram (3x 4GB)
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 GDDR5 SDRAM 2GB PCI Express 3.0 x16 Graphics Card
Thermaltake Slim x3 CPU Cooler 8cm
Corsair CX500M Builder Series 500W Power Supply
I have 1TB hard drive
myRig.png
I play World of warcraft and I beleave the Lag problem might be down to my i3 CPU
Here is a text file from CPU-Z WAYNEO-PC.txt

The NVIDIA Geforce Experience Recommends settings for the game and says I should be able to runt he game in ultra, so I tell it to do this when I go and play the game it is laggy I have 23MS Home and world latency.

any info and help would be very welcomed as my mind is blank and I dunno what is causing it. When the computer started up for the first time I went into the BIOS settings and clicked on OC GENIE and it is ment to OC it to what it can.

If you need any more info please let me know many thanks.

Attachments

• WAYNEO-PC.txt
    86.5 KB · Views: 3
I am thinking about getting a Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB to replace my i3 can I also get feed back on this is it worth it

Not played wow since cataclysm, I do remember it being hard on your cpu.

Have you tried running a program like msi afterburner? You can have an on screen display of your cpu and gpu usage in game.

See if your processor hits 100% usage before your gpu does.

Hope this helps.

I took what you said on board and I got that program and ran it while playing wow it does seem to be the CPU maxing out before the GPU

World of warcraft is poorly optimised being such an old engine.

I think it only uses only 2 cores and does not take advantage of multithreading.

The 4770k should give you better framerates, Though I would do a little more research before you buy. Wow is very badly optimised.

Nice guide here : http://www.logicalincrements.com/games/wow/

Last edited:
I see it recommends a Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz
would you say that is better then the Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz and it looks like it is cheaper as well

Not really up to speed on intel processors sorry. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can take over from here :)

The cpu seems to be your bottle neck. An i3 struggles at the settings the nvidia experience recommends, it just recommends based on your gtx 770. I don't recommend an i7, you can get an i5 4690k and a Samsung Evo ssd for the price of the i7. Ssd doesn't usually help framerates but with Blizzard games such as Wow and Diablo they do wonders.

Thanks Fimbles for your help - Gawain is it a must for the Samsung Evo ssd is it noticeable difference also is the i5 4690k a nice processor like there isnt a better one coming out soon for around the same price is there*nerd*

I haven't played WoW in a while, but I used to play a LOT with my AMD 955 and old GTX 260. As such, I've done a lot of research into getting the most out of my PC and that game. WoW is a pretty mild game on your CPU. My CPU could handle it fine. First off, you won't ever get good frame rates in highly populated areas like cities or crowded battle grounds. It's not your PC, it has to do the game communicating with all the other people around you. Even if your ping is low, you'll get low FPS. It's one of the reasons they've moved away from having one giant area for everyone to hang out in like they did in previous expansions.

You should do what Fimbles suggested and find a way to use a couple monitoring programs. If you have a 2nd monitor you can easily watch your CPU and GPU while playing. Be sure to play in windowed mode (full screen of course) when you do this. You should also try turning off a couple settings that may not enhance your play. I can't remember the exact names, but spell details and texture filtering etc. Try turning off special things like lighting effects and see what happens. And remember, don't try this with 50 people around you, none of it will matter.

Your current setup SHOULD be more than enough for WoW. You should carefully investigate if you have something running in the background, or if a specific WoW setting is causing you problems. I've had it where using Ultra High shadowing caused HUGE slowdowns, but turning it down a little helped a lot (and actually looked better).

Fimbles is right about the multithreading. Don't spend extra money on a 6 or 8 core processor. WoW will only use 2 anyway. I'd be surprised if WoW could stress any CPU of the last generation or two. Most visual settings are based on your GPU (yours is great!) and if my AMD 955 3.2 Ghz could handle it your should be able to.

Last resort before you start re-installing WoW... try different versions of Nvidia's drivers. The lastest are easy to get, you might have to hunt around to get older versions. Older versions are a shot in the dark, but if you're not on the latest drivers, install those before doing anything else I've mentioned. Slowdowns with your hardware really sounds more like a driver/software/settings issue than poor hardware. Based on my experience anyway.

Good luck

Thanks for both of your inputs I have decided to go for a i5 4690 but I didnt go for the i5 4690K like u suggested as I do not plan on over-clocking my PC - the CPU should be here today but I have a new problem lol - I have a 500w corsair cx500 I have gone onto a Watts calculator and my new CPU will be running at 84W max load and my GTX 770 runs are 250w max I beleave I have a low profile CPU cooler with 5 case fans also 2 SATA's and 3 USB items connected at all times ( mouse keyboard and headphones) with what I have already the Watts calculator says I am runing at 474W but with the new CPU it takes 30W more so I will be runing at 504W and I am unsure if I should chance it or not I am thinking about getting a 600w corsair builder series cx600 instead to be safe but what do yous think

Back