Framework launches its most affordable barebones laptop yet at $499

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Framework, the company that makes easily upgradable, customizable, and repairable laptops, is now selling the cheapest model it's ever sold. Priced at just $499, the B-stock Factory Seconds Framework Laptop 13 looks like a bargain, though it is distinctly bare-bones.

Framework's Factory Seconds laptops are new systems that use excess parts from the Framework Laptop (11th Gen Intel Core) era. The company says that rather than scrapping this material, it's combined with new parts, put through factory testing to ensure it all works as it should, and then the laptops are sold at greatly reduced prices.

The $499 configuration of the B-stock Factory Seconds DIY Edition laptop comes with an Intel i7-1165G7 CPU but not much else. You'll have to provide your own memory, storage, Wi-Fi, Power Adapter, Operating System, and Expansion Cards. It's essentially just the laptop's frame and that processor, though you do get a Framework screwdriver in the box.

While A-stock units feature a matte display, B-stock units contain an original display that Framework says has slight cosmetic issues, such as backlight non-uniformity or fine lines visible from certain angles.

Framework's marketplace does have all the cheap components and software needed to turn the B-stock Factory Seconds into a complete laptop. Adding 8GB of refurbished DDR4-3200 ($30), an Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro Wi-Fi card ($18), and a 250GB NVMe SSD ($39), pushes the price up to a still impressively low $586. Framework will also include Windows 11 Home for an extra $139. There's no way to upgrade the screen or GPU, but it's still arguably a good price for a laptop of this nature.

Framework also announced that its Laptop 16 machine has now shipped to customers. The PC is aimed more at gamers, with the high-end configuration packing a Ryzen 9 7940HS and a removable 100W Radeon RX 7700S. All models feature a 1600p 165 Hz VRR IPS display and have the same easily upgradable and customizable components.

Framework has seen its laptops' popularity rise in recent years, helped by YouTube tech star Linus Sebastian's investment in the company.

Permalink to story.

I'm going to pretend that you can't buy a complete and more efficient laptop with Ryzen 5000 for $500-600. Then, great stuff!

I'm going to pretend that you can't buy a complete and more efficient laptop with Ryzen 5000 for $500-600. Then, great stuff!
You mean a laptop that isnt comparable in terms of reparability, that is likely made with cheap plastic and sub par storage and memory?

I mena yeah, you could buy that. But why?

You mean a laptop that isnt comparable in terms of reparability, that is likely made with cheap plastic and sub par storage and memory?

I mena yeah, you could buy that. But why?
Any of the big 5 well-known brands with extended warranty, and available worldwide with local support. I suspect that the failure rate of the big brands is also lower than that of a small backyard company.

Any of the big 5 well-known brands with extended warranty, and available worldwide with local support. I suspect that the failure rate of the big brands is also lower than that of a small backyard company.
The Framework also has a warrantee and you can upgrade it and not just RAM and storage. And you can turn your old motherboard and processor isn't a compact desktop once you've upgraded to a new motherboard.

It seems a sensible choice, not super cheap but tech wise Tiger Lake i5 and i7 are fine, strong single core performance, even avx-512 support, all 4 performance cores (not so many as Ryzens but workable if you dont need throughput) and modern igpu (among the first members of the Arc family). Is a decent way to get a Framework laptop that is a brand known to be upgradeable and serviceable.

Last edited:
I can't recommend Framework laptop to anybody. I'm rather stuck with mine and while it is sufficient in many aspects, it falls short in others. To my eye, Framework has been quickly iterating on their products to the detriment of users who have already purchased products. They've stated they are trying to improve but we haven't yet built a solid track record of delivering on that promise.

Furthermore, the mentioned 11th gen models have a serious defect, granted it isn't present in every laptop, that will soft brick your device as soon as the battery drains down. I personally never encountered it but it is present and every buyer of these laptops should be aware of it. If you are handy with a soldering iron then it's fixable although you'll void your warranty.

Back