TechSpot

Free Software Foundation to Google: free Gmail's JavaScript

By Emil
Apr 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Free Software Foundation (FSF) has launched a new initiative in the form of a series of features that explain how to use common websites without using proprietary JavaScript. The organization wants to protect users from what it calls The JavaScript Trap, in reference to proprietary software running inside your browser. The first target is Google's Gmail service.

Read the whole story

2. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

Hmm... an interesting proposition. I want to say I'm neutral, but I'm afraid I'm kind of against making changes to gmail. I'm a creature of habit, and if my inbox gets changed again, I won't be happy.

Of course they could probably comply to this (if they even care to) and do it without changing the user experience. In that case, I'd be okay with it...

3. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

Use imap and, for example, Outlook. That doesn't run ANY javascript for Gmail. That's how I run my Gmail. Get some use out of that expensive Office product.

4. >FSF wants Google to develop a "basic HTML" version of Gmail, which does not rely on heavy JavaScript to build the user interface

Err.. this already exists. Just look at the bottom of your Gmail page and click on "basic HTML". This version works without JavaScript at all.

If the FSF folks want Gmail without JavaScript, it's right there! It does exactly what they want. Or they could use IMAP or POP3 with an open source — *cough* sorry "Free Software" — email client. Or they could not use Gmail if they don't like it.

This is pathetic and ridiculous.

5. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

The very premise of this organization is ludicrous. You will note on their home page a Donate tab which promptly advises you that they’re willing to accept your major card (or issue you a FSF card) to help support the cause. Well, if everything is supposed to free … why do they need your money?

6. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

Umm... They just named a whole bunch of things that run server-side. Its not really a comparable argument.

7. use windows live hotmail; it's free