Freeze, Reboot during Windows Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I've done a reformat many many times, on many computers. However, I am encountering an issue with my new machine that I am reformatting after a year or so of use.
I am trying to install Win XP Home on to a P4 3G, blah blah blah. I backed up all the contents I wanted to keep, rebooted the PC with CD drive set to first in boot sequence, etc.
The windows installer opens correctly, loads all the neccessary files (you know, when all the file names, etc. flash by on the bottom of the screen.) When it gets to the point where it reads "Windows setup is about to begin" it will hang there for 10s, then reboot.
One attempt did make it past that point, and I was able to delete the old partition, format, create a new partition, and then the system failed again with the bar at 90% complete.
I have had issues with the unit rebooting spontaneously before, but it was a "once in a blue moon" type thing, and there was never any pattern.
One thing I've noticed (and I have no clue what it would mean) is the initial "beep" sound when my PC first turns on is now noticeably longer than it was before.

Any thoughts on this problem? If it is some kind of hardware conflict, I expect I'll just have to troubleshoot everything individually. Any input appreciated,

-Ndhl

Hi NDHL and welcome to the TS Forum:wave:

I find errors at setup are usually caused by faulty/failing memory, try a memory checker such as Memtest86 to test the memory, if you have more than 1 stick then boot the PC with just one stick and try to install and see if it fails, if it does swap sticks and try again, if neither make a difference try removing any items that require power such as extra IDE devices and see if that makes a difference, myself I usually install a PC with just the video card, 1 HD and a CDrom unit, then I add the other devices one at a time, this way if anything is faulty it will show up.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back