Freezing BIOS

Setfree

Issue: Set PC in BIOS to boot to USB. Chose save and exit. After I chose "yes", BIOS froze right there. Keyboard was unresponsive. Had to power off. Did not matter if it was set to ACHI or IDE. BIOS is Legacy. Passed MEMTEST 86 with no errors. Which meant it will boot to DVD. Tried a different USB drive with same format, FAT32 Windows 10 media creation tool. Same issue. Laptop IBUYPOWER Model W150HRM, 11 Yrs. old.
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.4, 5/31/2011. According to their website: "Currently, AMI does not provide firmware updates to consumers." How special. I read issue with USB 3.0 port but I was done with tshooting. Ended up booting to Win10 Pro install with success. If set BIOS to defaults is useful please let me know. Any suggestions are appreciated. If more info is needed I will provide.

If the BIOS is unresponsive and you cannot flash the BIOS, It may be a bad motherboard, which is the worst case situation. Who is the computer's manufacturer and what is the model? You might find a BIOS flash on the manufacturer's website.

I have run into older computers that won't boot from USB even if you set it and you have to boot from a CD/DVD to reinstall Windows. My optical discs are so old that I hate having to do this because it is a huge download to get it to update to the latest version.

If the BIOS is unresponsive and you cannot flash the BIOS, It may be a bad motherboard, which is the worst case situation. Who is the computer's manufacturer and what is the model? You might find a BIOS flash on the manufacturer's website.
Thanks Mark Fuller. I was finally able to access Clevo the mobo maker's website and got a BIOS update. If needed, I will proceed carefully so as to not make a brick. Again thanks.

I have run into older computers that won't boot from USB even if you set it and you have to boot from a CD/DVD to reinstall Windows. My optical discs are so old that I hate having to do this because it is a huge download to get it to update to the latest version.
Thanks Kshipper for your reply. Since 1996 this is my first time running into this issue. Mainly the BIOS freezing. I have had USB's not booting for one reason or another but never a BIOS freezing. Even my friend and former tech instructor from I.T. school years ago said this was his first. Must be the luck of the draw. Thanks again.

Back