Freezing CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I'll start with saying that I'm 100% sure that I'm having a hardware problem.

I'm running a gateway laptop. Specs are
Mobile Intel Celeron(R) 2.20Ghz
632MB RAM (not sure what kind)
20GB Hard drive.
Those are the mains atleast.

I'll go ahead and say that sometimes my computer will completely lock up indefinately. I noticed that it usually happens when I try to move the computer, or apply pressure on the computer at different places.
Sometimes when I power up my cpu, the leds just flash once, the fan starts to run, but that's the extent of it. The monitor doesn't come on, nothing starts to boot. Also, when my cpu freezes, all it takes is a simple press of the power button and it shuts off instantly. No 10 second holds necessary. Just quick instant power down as soon as I press the button. (when it's frozen).

My question is this. What possible loose connections would cause it to act in such a manner? So I know what I'll need to replace. I thought it was the hard drive at first, but It does the same thing with no hard drive in, and will boot normally without a hard drive installed.

Thanks for your support. =]

~DJReiko~

Hmm... Does your CPU have a CPU cooler ( Fan ) and a layer of Thermapaste on it? If you dont your CPU will overheat and cause crashes and system errors

If you bought a CPU that isnt OpenBox then it should have came with this stuff but if it's a Openbox you could buy Thermapaste from Bestbuy and get a CPU fan ( make sure it's the same socket as your CPU ) from any computer store, CompUSA should have one for sure :D

Hope I helped :)
Also sorry for late reply ;)

Well, it's got a fan, definately. Gateway laptop. Also, not sure about the therma-paste. Though, it has some rubbery stuff underneath. Not sure if that's what you're talkin' about.

It's not a heating issue though, as it can happen randomly, and also when I apply too much pressure (laying my hands on it to type.) to some places of the computer. My best guess is a loose connection. Like I said in the first post.

DJReiko,
it may be time to have the laptop serviced. It needs to be taken apart and cleaned. All connections need to be checked too

I take it apart and clean it bi-monthly. =] Actually, I just cleaned it out like 5 days ago.

Though, I'm not sure what connections would cause the problem.

DJReiko said:
I take it apart and clean it bi-monthly. =] Actually, I just cleaned it out like 5 days ago.

Though, I'm not sure what connections would cause the problem.

Bi-monthly is a little excessive. Taking a laptop apart is not something that should be routinely done. You only need to make sure that the outside cooling ports are kept clean, and free from dust and debris

Yeah, maybe you're right about that, but everyone seems to ignore my very first question. -_-

I'm not gonna type it again, since it's up there twice atleast. Read my first post. Just tell me the possibilities.

I already told you what it's not. Now tell me what it is. Thank you =]

My first thought is an overheating CPU. The thermal compound becomes a solid substance, but you say no. It maybe a loose or corroded connection on the CD ROM or Keyboard/mouse assembly. You might check the LCD connections too

First off, I know there's a lot to read, but please bear with me. I explained as well as I can what the problem is. Hope you can get an idea of this.

Okay, I'm going to completely remove the CD ROM, you don't need one of those to run a pc. My touchpad is disabled and unplugged. I use a usb mouse (same effect with it unplugged). The therma-paste (I said it was rubbery because that's how it looked. I touched it this time and realized it is solid) stuff, there is a clear coat substance over the processor itsself directly under the fan (is that what you're talking about?) Would the LCD stop the computer dead in it's tracks if there's a loose wire? Because as a test, I ran some music, then applied a bit of force to the casing of the cpu. The music stopped, but the screen was still on, no movement of the mouse changed anything, it was just stuck in the state it was in a milisecond before I made it freeze.

That's what leads me to believe that it's not a heating problem, because I can force the computer into this 'frozen' state anytime I wish, just by pressing down with just a little force most places on the computer.

Most of the time, the computer doesn't even turn on. When I press the power button, the LEDs flash once, the fan kicks on, then it's just at a halt. The screen stays black and nothing ever happens. I know it's not a very good idea, but usually when that happens, I turn it off, give the laptop a few good 'taps' all over and half of the time, that works. It'll run for days if I leave it untouched but once I start to actually type a lot on it, it'll randomly freeze and that's all she wrote. After a freeze, pressing the power button will instantly shut all the power off. Rather than, with a software freeze you have to hold the power in for atleast 10 seconds? Something like that atleast.

From what I've said, could the mouse/keyboard LCD really have such an effect on a computer? I was thinking, that it's possibly the memory, but I have two sticks. I'm sure out of both of them, I have one good stick.

I also did some other 'testing' by taking out the hard drive and successfully booting the bios, so I also know now that it's definately not the hard drive. But it could be a number of other things.

I really hope I haven't typed too much in one post. I'd really like to figure this issue out so I can start using my laptop more often. Thanks once again.

if it makes a difference, my laptop is a gateway M305CRV. I searched the internet and it seems a few other people are having the same problem as myself with no answers to their problem -_-. It's a sad day to own a gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back