TechSpot

French court forces blogger to pay damages over negative restaurant review

By Justin Kahn
Jul 17, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A French judge has ruled against a blogger forcing her to alter a post and pay damages to a local business. After visiting a restaurant called Il Giardino in southwestern France, blogger Caroline Doudet posted a negative review upon receiving...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Struck by the sword of a thousand truths :)

3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

What???????

How in the.... Why was writing a review precedence for a law suit. Unless it was a flat out lie (am I missing something?) then it should be the restaurants faults for providing poor service.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

She was probably a ***** and had high expectations for service to begin with. And if people had any sense, they would find out for themselves and not take a bloggers word for it.

5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,541   +2,337

The TS article doesn't mention that the restaurant in question was already unpopular in reviews prior to this blogger's review. She was simply targeted because she has influence. At least, that's how it appears according to the stories listed on Google.

Fittingly, this lawsuit has impacted them far more than her review.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Here's the line that stuck out to me. He's worked a lot and therefore doesn't deserve a bad review? Where does the actual performance fit in to this? We teach kids that hard work is important because it is, but in the real world how well you do is more important than how hard you work.

If the real world rewarded only hard work, American Idol would have 10,000 winners every season.

davislane1 and mailpup like this.
  7. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

So prominent reviewers can only write positive reviews without risk of lawsuits? If the reviewer was truthful, isn't that the point of reviews?

cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. cliffordcooley

I personally think the issue is that the reviewer didn't just stick to the facts. The reviewer advertised it to be a place to avoid, instead of simply stating how they were treated. The reader should make that call on their own after reading the review.

9. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

I think the reviewer is entitled to profer an opinion based on the facts as he/she experienced it. Don't movie reviewers ever give opinions as to whether a movie or a play is worth seeing even though, ultimately, it is up to the consumer to make up their own minds, as always. The same goes for reviews of cars, computer hardware/software and anything else. Nothing particularly unusual about that.

10. cliffordcooley

And in the end. If the restaurant was worth it, the one review would not have a negative impact.

11. Just look some hinnen tape from theire kitchen and you never ever go to any restorant.

12. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

Unless the reviewer was the only customer they had hence the lawsuit to get back the money they lost because she didnt spent money at their place... suing your customers is a sure way to bankrupt your business and ruin your whole reputation as a whole.

Or am I missing the fact that the population of where the restaurant is located is 3,001 hence no customers... would explain the lawsuit tbh.

13. dms96960

dms96960 TS Addict Posts: 258   +28

cliffordcooley, nonsensical statement -- don't you read the reviews on TechSpot?

14. cliffordcooley

That is a broken analogy. Unless I missed Techspot's reviews on customer service with the hardware that they have sampled.

When it comes to customer service, everyone has different mileage. Anyone can call a company twenty times, and have twenty different customer service experiences. There may even be a different experience with the same person on the other end. One review (especially from the same person) will never sway my judgement, where customer service is concerned.

15. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 211   +14

Love is blind...

16. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

Maybe the reviewer was upset that the fly in her soup wasn't properly done and she had to keep sending it back until she was satisfied.

17. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

I think after everyone reads this and other similar articles they should boycott the restaurant all together cause blatantly its managers have their heads shoved so far up their own asses they don't deserve customers!!!

18. Troll-court! Damn. I would take the resolution to a higher instance, if I was mistreated and I wanted to publicly write about it I thought we had the liberty of speech.

19. The legal fee in the US would have been six figures I'm sure.

20. What if the blogger's review was true?

21. cliffordcooley

Then you would find out, when you went and wouldn't go back.

22. "But Doudet says she would rather have this whole situation end rather than go through the anguish of appeal. "

And people wonder why we stereotype the French for raising a white flag to any conflict.

davislane1 likes this.
  23. nestorius

nestorius TS Member Posts: 27

The review should have read, The restaurant is easy to find but the service is as shitty as the food! Please do not avoid this restaurant but also don't call me if you get sick!

24. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,541   +2,337

The whole point of reading restaurant reviews is to determine where to go and where to avoid. A rational person wouldn't drive down a road that dead ends just to confirm what the road sign says. Why would a rational person read over reviews only to ignore them?

25. cliffordcooley

Well for one a dead end road is fact. Many times customer service reviews are 90% opinion and quite honestly completely different with a different customer service representation. If your dead-end road could be used as an example, it wouldn't be a dead-end next time someone drove down it.