Fresh build, everything powers like it should except no display at all on monitor

kereineko

Ok, I'm not the best and building computers and am very new at it. My fresh build will boot but display absolutely nothing on the monitor, by nothing I mean it won't even go to bios or turn the power light from standby to on.

This build will boot up, all fans will run with no problems (including cpu and video card fans), and everything will shut off by holding down the power button properly. Also I have not gotten any light or beep codes. Here is what I have:

asus m5a97 motherboard
amd fx 6-core processor black edition
asus gtx550 ti direct cu video card
ddr3 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHz dual corsair vengeance ram
700 watt xion xio power supply
sata 1tb barracuda hard drive

dvd/cd - writable drive
cm storm scout case

I have tried trouble shooting programs for the motherboard and video card, with no results
I have tried resetting the rtc ram

I have double checked the power plugs are plugged in properly and making a proper circuit

I have taken everything out except the motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, and power supply and still gotten no beeps. I have tried changing how the stupid speaker wire connects, connecting incorrectly according to the manual and still no freaking beeps

I have tried using hdmi and vga cords connected to my tv that supports pc's and a monitor nothing worked cord wise but my old pc worked like a dream when connected to them.

when talking to tech support for the motherboard they helped me check that it wasn't a grounding issue.
I have talked to all my pc buddies called tech support and no one can tell me anything i haven't tried or that has worked. I have no idea what is wrong, I need help, I have spent the last two day all day working on this with no clue what is happening.

Are you only connecting your PC to a TV or are you using a monitor as well (2 displays)? Are you using Win 7?
Try this.

I have tried a tv and a monitor the monitor using vga the tv using dvi hdmi and vga. I can't even get to bios or be able to load win 7. I get no display on the tv or monitor at all. the screens don't even flicker as if its trying to load anything.

UNPLUG YOUR PSU FIRST!!!
1) Make sure you have both 24 pin and 6 pin power cables connected to your board.
2) Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots (Please check your manual)
3) Remove the battery on the board for 10-15 min. to reset CMOS
4) replace battery and reboot

*make sure your cpu fan is plugged into the "cpu_fan" pins.

UNPLUG YOUR PSU FIRST!!!
1) Make sure you have both 24 pin and 6 pin power cables connected to your board.
2) Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots (Please check your manual)
3) Remove the battery on the board for 10-15 min. to reset CMOS
4) replace battery and reboot

*make sure your cpu fan is plugged into the "cpu_fan" pins.

I did everything exactly as stated and nothing changed. I even first tried to check the ram by taking one of the two sticks out but nothing has changed. still no beeps, and nothing displaying on my monitor... any other ideas?

No but if its a bad pcie slot then id rather get a new mother board where everything works on it. I talked to a few of my pc buddies told them everything and they think its a bad mother board or slot so I'm going to exchange it for a new one I think. Thanks for all the help I will update the post once I get a new mother board and let you know if it is all fixed or if I'm still having issues.

Just to be clear is the external power connector to your graphics card hooked up to the PSU? You did mention power plugs but I wanted to make sure.

Do you have another power supply to test with?

Just to be clear is the external power connector to your graphics card hooked up to the PSU? You did mention power plugs but I wanted to make sure.

Do you have another power supply to test with?

I hooked up the power supply directly and tried using the adapter. I have also tried a new mother board and pcu but still have the same issue but now it won't shut down properly or start by the memok button like it should.

Have you thought of the possibility of a bad video card, or have you already ruled that out? Also just out of curiosity what made you go with the Xion psu, not saying its a bad psu but I've never heard of Xion, and a quick google search of Xion power supplies brings up many bad reviews and only a few good ones. It is always better to stick with higher end power supply companies like Corsair or Seasonic (which apparently is a decent company I never heard of before I went on techspot). Your other choices look great though.

Have you thought of the possibility of a bad video card, or have you already ruled that out? Also just out of curiosity what made you go with the Xion psu, not saying its a bad psu but I've never heard of Xion, and a quick google search of Xion power supplies brings up many bad reviews and only a few good ones. It is always better to stick with higher end power supply companies like Corsair or Seasonic (which apparently is a decent company I never heard of before I went on techspot). Your other choices look great though.

I did rule out the video card by switching it out with my old one that is compatible. Went with xion bc newegg had an overall rating of 4/5.

As an update I put my old hard drive back in my old pc and now its having the same issue and the fresh build. The only thing I can think of is some how I fried both my new and old pcs. I have no idea how since I was super carefull but yah now I'm screwed.

I am having the same problem, anytime I restart my PC I get no signal to my monitor, I have to take off the PC for 5-10mins then turn it on to get signal to my monitor how can I fix this problem?

Two years later and one lonely man is having the same problem with nearly the same specs of pc..

Mobo: AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed

CPU:
AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed

Please let me know if you ever found the culprit of this problem.. I'm suspecting my video card is bad as everything else seems works just fine but no display..

PSU is a corsair 650w,

same Ram

Video card is Sapphire 11200-16-20G HD7850 GDDR5 Graphics Card (1GB

I just had this problem, came to this page, shook my fist at the heavens that no-one shared their end success, and continued poking.

I had a special graphics card plugged in. You know... A gamer’s best friend, a borderline necessity, I mean duh.

But when you are setting up your computer it doesn’t like that. Take your additional graphics card chunk out of the machine; leave everything else.

Then click all the buttons on your monitor screen because it won’t know automatically to turn on during the boot up phase.

Also, hold F11 as soon as your keyboard lights up / it starts clearly powering up.
You are welcome.

Had the exact same issue and mine turned out to be a faulty RAM stick. My motherboard thankfully has a little group of lights that lets you know what’s causing an issue. Removed one of the RAM sticks and boom! It worked.

Had the same issue for about 3 minutes after setting up my new monitor. a Gigabyte M32Q.

Turns out there are TWO power switches. In completely different locations, and with completely different mechanisms of action, and completely different looks to them.

And the one I didn't know about right away, wasn't even shown in the instructions!

It was hard to find, tucked away as it was in a very hard to find spot on the back, underneath a large plastic protrusion off center...

Great monitor though, when the many many settings it has are leveraged properly.

Back