Fresh Install Won't Detect SATA Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reinstalled windows after running into some problems. BIG MISTAKE. I had a hard time installing the SATA HD before and I have no Idea how I went about it the last time. I don't wanna loose any files. Can someone please help me get my system to detect my SATA Drive. I Have an Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard.

Thanks in advance,

Did you load the SATA drivers during boot up before trying to install windows?

When you start installing windows you should press F6 and install your SATA drivers from the floppy that came with your mainboard.
Did you do that?

I'm not familiar with your mobo but actually, if you aren't running a RAID array, you shouldn't have to load any drivers at F6. Generally, not always of course, you are loading drivers for the RAID controller not the SATA controller.

Make sure that you have RAID disabled in BIOS. SATA functionality is native to your board and can't be turned on or off but RAID can. The SATA ports are active at boot so you just plug the drive in and away you go. If the RAID controller is turned on your system will be waiting for a second drive forever and you'll never see the single drive. Once the RAID controller is disabled the SATA drive should be picked up.

from my expeirience only intel chipsets will automatically detect SATA drives without the sata drivers being loaded. every machine with via or sis chipset I have built with a sata hard drive required the sata drivers to be loaded before windows setup would detect the drive and install windows on it.

You also have to have a copy of windows with at least SP1 to use a sata drive.

Thanks for replying.

I disabled something in the bios and switched the sata port on to the bottom ports away from the chipset and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back