Fried Harddrive need help rescue!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

des1fool

Hi all! I actually did take the drive and plug it into my comp and took out one of the cd drive cables and it is a failed drive. It lets me listen to the music files on it but Does not let me copy any of them. I ran the error checker and it passed off as healthy and usable drive, I can view some .txt files when i click on it in the windows explorer but when I try to copy a media file it gives me a cyric redundincy check. And I know its failed because of the startup alert.... can anybody please tell me a software that'll copy my data off there and possibly fix it ?
Please advise!

Get yourself another drive. Set this drive as the boot drive or primary master. Load your operating system on this new drive. Set your old drive up as a primary slave. Move your valuable files from the old drive to the new one. I imagine that when you format the old drive it may magically become good again

Hey TMagic. BTW I took this drive out of a 3.5" enclousure, and I took the cord out of one of my two cd drives and I used that to check it out.. I never had any OS on it, and my current main harddrive is SATA. Please advise!

des1fool said:
Hey TMagic. BTW I took this drive out of a 3.5" enclousure, and I took the cord out of one of my two cd drives and I used that to check it out.. I never had any OS on it, and my current main harddrive is SATA. Please advise!

It's always a good idea to include details like this in your original post. It saves valuable time...

Which error checker did you run? A filesystem checker will not find all bad sectors (unless you tell it to). You should use the Maxtor original drive diagnostics utility.

I've got another 40GB lying around so I may try switching around. Any instructions on that? Also is there an app that runs in XP that'll recover all of my data off of my fried drive? That freeware app is very slow and innaccurate. It can either be freeware or software that you buy.

Thanks! Des!fool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back