From rationality to QAnon: Bill Gates discusses the internet's unforeseen path as a place...

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Those who were around when the internet really started to take off in the 1990s had different ideas of what it would become. For Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, the expectation was that it would make the world a more rational and factual place. What he never foresaw was it becoming a meeting place for "crazy people" who have crazy ideas, with QAnon cited as a specific example.

Speaking during a fireside chat on Thursday, where he was awarded the Peter G. Peterson Leadership Excellence Award by the Economic Club of New York, Gates talked about the rise of artificial intelligence and how it brings to mind the start of the internet revolution.

"I will admit, the people who drove the digital revolution, including myself, really thought that the world would get more rational," the billionaire said, via Business Insider.

Gates said he believed the internet would make the world "so factual" by empowering people to search for information on subjects like science on their own. He gave an example of someone learning both sides of a lawsuit by looking up the claims from the plaintiff and defendant, rather than relying on what a news article would reveal.

While that sort of thing does happen, what Gates didn't expect was how much the internet would be used by people with "crazy ideas."

"There were a lot of them out there. They were just not finding each other," Gates said. "And now, with digital tools, said: 'Oh you think that crazy thing? Me too! Let's get together and have a critical mass of crazy people. Let's, you know, call ourselves QAnon.'"

Gates has been the subject of many online conspiracy theories, including accusations of leading a cabal of global elites and trying to depopulate the world. Probably the most infamous claims are those linking him to Covid-19. These include Gates himself creating the virus and secretly using the vaccines to implant microchips in people.

Gates said he hopes younger generations of people will be creative enough to solve the disinformation issues plaguing the internet today. That might sound as if he's against AI, which is adept at creating fake content, though that isn't the case.

The former Microsoft CEO expressed positivity about AI, citing its potential near-term benefits, such as relieving labor shortages and enriching the world. He did add that he was open to AI regulation, and anyone who battles against it just sounds "stupid."

Elsewhere during the chat, Gates said he considered himself less of a hardcore boss compared to Elon Musk and Steve Jobs. Gates has clashed with Musk on numerous occasions over everything from the vaccines - he said he'd rather fund them than travel to Mars - to Tesla stock. His turbulent relationship with Jobs, meanwhile, swung from them being allies to sworn enemies.

"Everybody is different. Elon pushes hard, maybe too much," Gates said. "Steve Jobs pushed hard, maybe too much."

"I think of myself as very nice compared to those guys," he added.

Permalink to story.

"Everybody is different. Elon pushes hard, maybe too much," Gates said. "Steve Jobs pushed hard, maybe too much."

"I think of myself as very nice compared to those guys," he added.

Man... that means that Musk and Jobs are worst than cancer...

Bill Gate's rationality is as much of an oxymoron as military intelligence.

This is just simply not true and is reminiscent of all the tired old gags we used to see in the 90s. Bill Gates is in fact one of the good ones and we are in dire need of more like him.

He is 100% right. I hoped the world would get more rational too, and it's gone the opposite way. In the early days of the digital revolution there was so much optimism for what the internet could do. And now it's headed back to corporate control, conspiracy theory, echo chambers, and profiteering. And bizarrely, greater tech illiteracy among young people.

And he is so much nicer than both Elon and Steve Jobs. Much more grounded than the majority of billionaires, he's really still an old school geek at heart.

He actually is a genuinely nice person who wants to make the world a better place.

Lately it seems he's getting more nervous, sooner or later the truth comes out. Pay attention to the elites in the coming months.

I think Gates is right.

He should look at the comments on Techspot -- sometimes some of us can far exceed QAnon in dreaming up conspiracy theories. lol

Bill Gates was a crook from way, way back and makes up the 3rd leg of those other crooks. He might not be crazy but he is as dishonest as the day is long and will do anything to keep the advantage to himself.

Lately it seems he's getting more nervous, sooner or later the truth comes out. Pay attention to the elites in the coming months.
He's getting nervous because we're going back to the book burning times, yes. Because IQ-less *diots become more and more convinced they're right.

Back