Hi guys,
I built my system with these components;
i7 8700
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce
Asus Prime B365M-A
Corsair Vengeance 8GB Ram x2
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB
Fsp Hyper M85+ 650w Bronze
When I start games there was a very loud annoying sound coming from PSU. But when idle there was no sound.
I contact with technical support and PSU replaced with new one. I plugged new one but coil whine is still there.
So, I unplugged my PSU and plugged to my friends' similar system(i7,gtx 1070 etc..). We runned heavy games like Metro Exodus but there was not any sound or coil whine.
So, my components causes coil whine on PSU.
Whats the reason for this? How can I solve this problem?

Something is loose. Locate the source of the noise and isolate it - I use a plastic rod and gently probe all components which are mounted "above" the motherboard (especially, chokes with the ferrite rings) and all of the pieces of the case (tightening all points of attachment, including the front connections behind the faceplate.

In your specific situation, I would suspect case is quite likely as you have tried components elsewhere (PSU, video card, etc). One loose mounting screw can drive you nuts.

Please tell us in detail about what you may find.

Coil whine sometimes can be exacerbated when 3D games are running at high fps (>100 or the like fps) - this is why you don't get it when the graphics card is idling or running heavy loads, such that the fps is less than, for example, 80 fps. Try running games that cause the noise with vsync on to see if that makes any difference.

Coil whine sometimes can be exacerbated when 3D games are running at high fps (>100 or the like fps) - this is why you don't get it when the graphics card is idling or running heavy loads, such that the fps is less than, for example, 80 fps. Try running games that cause the noise with vsync on to see if that makes any difference.
I've tried something. I deactivated gpu and ran Onboard graphics. I launched a game. There is no Any sound or coil whine. But also there is no FPS. Is it a sign for my gpu makes PSU coil whine ? Or not ?

It's possible, yes; it could also be the graphics card that's whining. A good few years ago, I was using an ATi Radeon DDR that would effectively scream when scrolling through webpages or running basic shader code (which made testing said code exceptionally tiring). I remember spending hours talking through the issue with ATi, testing different motherboard and PSU configurations (I was working a tech journalist at the time) - all to no avail. Eventually, they conclude it was the graphics card, which was duly sent off for analysis. I never did get it back..

It could be 'harmonic interference'. One very high inaudible sound could be constructively interfering with another - and the blend is what you hear.... or, it could be a loose brass standoff under the motherboard... or, a loose slot cover, etc, etc.

Changing to on-board may solve the problem just because the frequency of the high inaudible sound is no longer there.

https://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py105/WaveInterference.html

It could be 'harmonic interference'. One very high inaudible sound could be constructively interfering with another - and the blend is what you hear.... or, it could be a loose brass standoff under the motherboard... or, a loose slot cover, etc, etc.

Changing to on-board may solve the problem just because the frequency of the high inaudible sound is no longer there.

https://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py105/WaveInterference.html
I downloaded MSI afterburner to monitor gpu voltage. It says 743 mV on idle, 1043 on games. is it too much? mV means megavolt I guess.

Video card sounds fine 0.75 v ramping up to 1.0 v. Do you need further coaching about how to probe for the source of the vibration? Some folks use the eraser end of a pencil... but I do not like using them as the metal band could cause a short if I slip. I take the ink and point out of a ballpoint and use the hollow plastic rod.

Back