TechSpot

FTC offers $50,000 prize to stop illegal robocalls

By Rick
Oct 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The Federal Trade Commission is calling upon the private sector to solve a modern-day plight: reliably detecting and eliminating robocalls to both landlines and cell phones. The FTC is offering a cool $50,000 prize to the person or company who...

Read more

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

Maybe I'll stop getting calls about lowering my interest rate from banks that I don't even have accounts with. I'm not even sure if the calls really are coming from the banks themselves anyway.

3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 831   +18

I was getting the "extended car warranty" one for a while. Finally I pressed 1 and talked to someone. Apparently an 83 Caprice Classic was too old to add a warranty too :p. So I told them not so politely never to call me again. They never have :p.

4. danhodge

danhodge TS Member Posts: 80   +13

Why not just give a phone number some kind of password?
    So when someone asks you for your number, you say sure, and give them your password too... Obviously don't make people type it out more than once.

If they don't match - the call doesn't go through. This basically means noone can call you if you don't want them to :)

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +135

Congrats to the winner of the $50,000 prize!

6. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

Call Display - I only answer unknown, private, 1-800 etc, numbers at my own risk ;p

Similar to danhodge's suggestion how about setting up a program to 'whitelist' callers where only known numbers can reach you.

Unfortunately for either method legitimate callers may get missed.

7. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

I have working on something for awhile... just need to get a few b**** worked out.....

I have gotten so many calls in the past few years, That I set a goal... to do something about it...

Will see soon enough, If I can get some bug squashing done, with a few b**** I am working around with this GUI of mine....

:)

8. danhodge

danhodge TS Member Posts: 80   +13

Well, it seems obvious to me, so there must be a reason why it hasn't been used. But I would be more than happy to take that ;)

9. Upio

Upio TS Rookie

I'll build a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address!