Fun with Windows Firewall and ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this has stumped me for some time now.

I cannot seem to get my ICS service to start (nor the Windows firewall, although that is less of a concern)

Upon trying to start the service I receive the following message"

"Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied.

Now logically one would think this only could be possible if I were logged in without admin rights. However, I am most certainly the only user to this computer and hold the only account which is ADMIN.

I have attached a log from HiJackTHIS for your enjoyment.

I have also tried to reset netsh and winsock to no avail. Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

boot SAFE MODE
when possible, run->SFC /SCANNOW

it will correct permission on the critical files and directories.

you MAY need the orginal install disk during this process

You should also check your group Policies settings:

A cause of Error 5- Access is denied:
After you configure a group policy to set permissions on a service, the service in Control Panel may not function properly. If you try to open the service properties, you may receive the following error message:Error 5: Access is Denied.

For W2K OS or Windows 2000 server:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256299

bobbye - I have not set any policy on this machine for anyone. I am the only user and have admin rights. Upon checking this, my group policy confirms that I, the admin, have full rights to alter the OS

jobeard - I tried sfc /scannow and it came back with an error stating
error 0x000006ba RPCSERVER not available

yes, the service must be running
Remote Procedure Call (RPC); but not the Locater just beneath it

Jobeard -

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. (Well that and a ton of antivirus/anti-spy software)

I do still seem to have a few other issues. My audio device seems to go missing at random.

Thank you all very much for the help!

suggest you solve ACCESSIBILITY and Security issues first and fuss with the local
presentation stuff (eg audio, video, CDs, iTunes, et al).

corelli, since this error can occur from a setting in Group Policies, it bears checking whether you have intentionally made changes yourself. Surely you've heard about the resident gremlin that blocks senders with NO permission from the user!

as no one here has seen this policy name on XP before;
1- it could be a custom DOMAIN policy name
2- a locally created policy name
3- or totally bogus.

if the system is not connected to a D.C, then the first choice is eliminated, leaving
a local change (and the user should recognize the name) or a bogus entry.

BOGUS:- a false positive condition raised by some AV program.

edit:
oops, this may be posted to the wrong thread
/edit

"sorry, I forgot to specify that I am using WinXP pro"

Thank you jobeard. I would have thought it was known that Windows XP Pro has the Group Policy feature!

I think we're all agreed on that point --

I posted to the wrong thread :( sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back