FX-60 vs 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

So I'm looking to upgrade my computer sometime by the end of this year and I like to get a lot of information ahead of time haha. Right now I have a 3500+ which is performing pretty well for me right now. I could probably get more out of it if I just put in quality RAM [and more of it] but the single core is whats concerning me. So I looked up the benchmark tests for the FX-60 when it came out and it really didnt do much compared to the single core 57. Would this have changed now? I know more games are supporting the multi-core processors now but does single core still stack up against it?

Actually now that I think about it would it be smarter to just upgrade to AM2? I just noticed that actually finding an FX60/57 is almost impossible :rolleyes:

And, if not a FX, would X2 be good enough.
I'm looking to upgrade to a Geforce8 series card eventually and I want a processor that can actually handle it.

Mmk, thats enough questions I think haha.
Thanks,
Aj

Well putting money into AM2 would be IMO a bad idea. If you want to get up to snuff I know it sounds redundant but Core 2 Duo is the way. Obviously that will make for a hefty upgrade, considering you will need to get new RAM if you do it.

If you budget doesn't allow it then I would say go with the FX60, but again if you higher end Core 2 Duos put alot of hurt on the FX series.

Its really about how much you are willing to spend.

Sean

Actually right after posting that I did some research, and for under $1000 I can get a new mobo [Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 $150] processor [X2 5200 $200] ram [2Gb Corsair $200] and graphics [640mb GTS $380].
I already have a case, sound card, power supply and dvd drive that serve me well, and my power supply is barely being pushed right now [OCZ GameXStream 600W], so I don't think I would need to spend more money on those things that already work.

and of course I have no idea if this is what I'll buy. I'm not planning to upgrade till mid summer at least and I learned the hard way when I originally built my system how fast stuff changes [I built it right when AM2 came out thinking I could still find upgradeable 939 parts later on, i was wrong xD]

And by then I'll be 16 with a job, probably working most of the week since I have nothing to do so I might spend a little more. Core 2 duo has interested me when I first heard about it but it was to late since I already invested in my Athlon lol. Also I have no clue about what to look for in Core 2's [good or bad] so some info on that might help haha.

I STRONGLY urge getting a Core 2 duo.

call_of_duty_2_(1024).png

pcm05-cpu.png

See the rest here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back