TechSpot

FX-60 vs 57

By whtddusy516
Mar 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I'm looking to upgrade my computer sometime by the end of this year and I like to get a lot of information ahead of time haha. Right now I have a 3500+ which is performing pretty well for me right now. I could probably get more out of it if I just put in quality RAM [and more of it] but the single core is whats concerning me. So I looked up the benchmark tests for the FX-60 when it came out and it really didnt do much compared to the single core 57. Would this have changed now? I know more games are supporting the multi-core processors now but does single core still stack up against it?

Actually now that I think about it would it be smarter to just upgrade to AM2? I just noticed that actually finding an FX60/57 is almost impossible :rolleyes:

And, if not a FX, would X2 be good enough.
    I'm looking to upgrade to a Geforce8 series card eventually and I want a processor that can actually handle it.

Mmk, thats enough questions I think haha.
    Thanks,
    Aj

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Well putting money into AM2 would be IMO a bad idea. If you want to get up to snuff I know it sounds redundant but Core 2 Duo is the way. Obviously that will make for a hefty upgrade, considering you will need to get new RAM if you do it.

If you budget doesn't allow it then I would say go with the FX60, but again if you higher end Core 2 Duos put alot of hurt on the FX series.

Its really about how much you are willing to spend.

Sean

3. whtddusy516

whtddusy516 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 201

Actually right after posting that I did some research, and for under $1000 I can get a new mobo [Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 $150] processor [X2 5200 $200] ram [2Gb Corsair $200] and graphics [640mb GTS $380].
    I already have a case, sound card, power supply and dvd drive that serve me well, and my power supply is barely being pushed right now [OCZ GameXStream 600W], so I don't think I would need to spend more money on those things that already work.

and of course I have no idea if this is what I'll buy. I'm not planning to upgrade till mid summer at least and I learned the hard way when I originally built my system how fast stuff changes [I built it right when AM2 came out thinking I could still find upgradeable 939 parts later on, i was wrong xD]

And by then I'll be 16 with a job, probably working most of the week since I have nothing to do so I might spend a little more. Core 2 duo has interested me when I first heard about it but it was to late since I already invested in my Athlon lol. Also I have no clue about what to look for in Core 2's [good or bad] so some info on that might help haha.

4. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

I STRONGLY urge getting a Core 2 duo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the rest here

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.